Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 GeigerLog - Finally Version 1.0 released !
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ullix

Germany
491 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2019 :  04:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A major overhaul behind the scenes, but the user of just a GMC counter will barely notice the difference. The last stop before the 1.0 release.

The Windows installation, though, has gotten much, much simpler with the support of the very latest Python and graphic toolkit; details in the manual.

All available for download at the GeigerLog site at SourceForge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/

Image Insert:

175426 bytes

GeigerLog now supports multiple new devices, including I2C based sensors, more IoT devices, LabJack.

Of particular interest to Geiger aficionados will be the new support for audio-click signals from counters to collect CPS and CPM data, making classic counters, low cost counters, as well as the latest semiconductor counters available for handling and recording with GeigerLog. And all devices can be connected at the same time.

As the GMC counters offer both a digital output, as well as an audio-click output, they are a nice target to validate the AudioCounter performance of GeigerLog. Here an example for a GMC-300E+ counter, blue is digital connection, red is audio connection. No difference:

Image Insert:

115136 bytes

More thorough presentation and discussion in this article: GeigerLog-AudioCounter-Support https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/files/Articles/GeigerLog-AudioCounter-Support-v2.0.pdf/download

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally the GeigerLog Version 1.0 has just been released. See at the usual place:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/

Edited by - ullix on 10/10/2020 04:36:07
Reply #1

EmfDev

1243 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2019 :  12:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your software @ullix. I will pin it on top.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

ullix

Germany
491 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2019 :  09:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, EmfDev, I hope people will try it and report any issues whatsoever to move GeigerLog into the 1.0 status.

I have two new device suggestions for GQ:

You may have noticed that I am quite keen on this little new Smart Geiger Pro (SGP-001) device. It measures radioactivity just like a Geiger counter, but is based not on Geiger-Müller tubes, but on semiconductor PI diodes. And this SGP-001 produces audio-clicks only, which was the driving force for me to implement audio counters in GeigerLog.

Technically, the device is simple. Given GQ's ability to produce the current line of counters, it should be even easier to produce a similar device, but housed in a box like your current counters. This would also allow to implement a larger array of PIN diodes. Perceived problem with the current size, while the sensitivity is perfectly ok for the detection of dangerous radiation, your customers tend to overvalue sensitivity. So, offer it. That would be device #1.

Far more attractive is the 2nd option. While in a Geiger-Müller tube a pulse is the same no matter what the energy of the quantum, a pulse from a semiconductor is largely proportional to the quantum energy! Thus, you can create a SPECTROMETER at manufacturing costs similar to your current devices (selling price might become a different story ;-)) This would be absolutely unique, showing a spectrum on your display, albeit a rough one. The better version could be Peltier cooled for better resolution...

And, needless, to say, GeigerLog is ready to measure such spectra as of this latest version!

Unfortunately, it will not be trivial. The manufacturer of the SGP-001, SmartFTLab, is selling a module, where they have done exactly what would be needed for a spectrum analyzer, and led the voltage signal outside. h**p://allsmartlab.com/eng/294-2/

I tested the module, and failed badly. But as it worked even poorer that the SGÜ-001 device, I am confident that eventually I'll get a module, which does what it is claimed to do.

The spectrum analyzer&counter could be your device #2. A world-first!

Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

ZLM

1258 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2019 :  11:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your suggestion. Basically GQ already studied on this.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

ullix

Germany
491 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  01:31:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regression Alert on Windows!

Users reported problems in Windows installations, and it turned out to be a regression and/or specific to certain Windows installations. Special thanks to users theMike and ikerrg!

See note in GeigerLog manual re the use of pip or pip3!

matplotlib
MUST NOT use latest matplotlib 3.1.0! Force a previous version with pip command, e.g.:
pip3 install matplotlib==3.0.3

pyaudio
pyaudio MUST be at least version 0.2.11

Problem: While GeigerLog runs well on Python3.7.x, the pyaudio site has no supporting files precompiled for the use with pip, and compilation options are typically not available for standard Windows installations.

Workaround: Download a 'Wheel' file from here: https://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pyaudio and install

Example for a 64bit Windows: download PyAudio-0.2.11-cp37-cp37m-win_amd64.whl, change into the directory where the download was saved, and install with administrator privileges with command:
pip3 install PyAudio-0.2.11-cp37-cp37m-win_amd64.whl

GeigerLog still not working? Let me know.

Edited by - ullix on 06/07/2019 07:06:13
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

ullix

Germany
491 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2019 :  01:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GeigerLog in its latest version 0.9.92 now supports an additional breed of Geiger counters, i.e. the Gamma-Scout variety:

https://www.gamma-scout.com/en/measures-radioactivity-easily-and-reliably/

Other changes make installation a bit more streamlined by using only the latest PyQt5 toolkit on all systems, and some rare events were caught and mitigated.

Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

Rog15

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2020 :  09:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ullix, love that spectrometer idea, good track to follow.. So GeigerLog can be downloaded on a Win7 or Vista machine with no major issues or loading Python? I'm a little behind, have used Ubuntu for ham radio apps, but really know nothing useful any more. Memory very short at 71 yoa. Did used to know Unix 40 years ago... rog15

Roger Schutt KD9EPX
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

ullix

Germany
491 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2020 :  23:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Rog15: unfortunately, no development on the spectrometer idea. No more chips coming forward. If anyone has an idea, I am all ears!

As people are continuing to download GeigerLog, and the majority of them (2/3rd) is using Windows, and I am not hearing any bug reports, it seems fair to conclude that GeigerLog is working on Windows, Linux and Apple.

I think I will make a 1.0 release soon; there are only very minor changes.

The GeigerLog manual has detailed installation instructions. Follow them!

Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

rodorr@comcast.net

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  09:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like this app. I have come across a couple of crashing issues. I'm running the 0.9.93pre4 iteration. While the app is running and I check the Poiss or FFT function the app will close without warning and I have to restart. It doesn't do this every time but somewhat randomly. I am using the GMC part of the app and I am running Windows 8.1 and Python 3.7. I tried to find out which version of matplotlib I'm running but I couldn't figure out how to retrieve the version number. Keep up the good work. Hope this is of assistance.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #9

ullix

Germany
491 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2020 :  00:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@rodorr: I am almost thankful of finally getting a bug report before releasing GeigerLog as 1.0 ;-) Needless to say I am not getting this bug, so I would need more info.

However, it may indeed have to do with matplotlib; it is easy enough to test, so let's do this first: (Re the use of pip vs pip3 see the manual!)

pip3 show matplotlib

gives you the installed version, which currently must NOT be version 3.1.0! I recommend to use version 3.0.3, which can be installed with:

If that does not solve the issue, please do the following: start GeigerLog with these options:

geigerlog -dvwR

This will redirect all output – including error messages of the operating system – to a file in the data directory named geigerlog.stdlog. Send this file to me, e.g. via the SourceForge site: https://sourceforge.net/p/geigerlog/discussion/

Is anyone else having this issue?

Go to Top of Page
Reply #10

rodorr@comcast.net

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2020 :  06:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I ran the "pip3 show matplotlib" command and it shows I'm running "matplotlib 3.1.1". Obviously it's not version 3.1.0. Do you think it would be worth uninstalling the 3.1.1 version and installing the 3.0.3 version? If so what is the easiest way to uninstall my current version and then installing the 3.0.3 version?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page
Reply #11

ullix

Germany
491 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2020 :  00:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I should have said to not use 3.1.X.

You can uninstall first, but don't have to, because pip takes care of this. Simply do:

and the existing version will be uninstalled first, and the selected version then installed.

But if you want to explicitly uninstall, do:

pip3 uninstall matplotlib

If for any reason you want to force a re-instal, use:

pip3 install --force-reinstall matplotlib==3.0.3

Pip has become a very essential tool for all things Python. See the docu here: https://pypi.org/project/pip/
Go to Top of Page
Reply #12

rodorr@comcast.net

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2020 :  13:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well that seems to have been the issue. I downgraded the matplotlib from 3.1.1 to 3.0.3 and since that time I have not had a single issue. So as of now the 0.9.93pre4 seems to be rock solid as far as I can tell, at least when working with the USB port on the GMC units. I really enjoy the software. A question for you. Is there a good source of information that would give a quick overview on how to interpret the statistical information you provide, i.e. the graphs and tables the app outputs (poiss and fft, etc).

Thanks
Go to Top of Page
Reply #13

ullix

Germany
491 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2020 :  00:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@rodorr: good to hear it solved the problem! Though it also means there is still no bug within GeigerLog - so far the path for the 1.0 version remains clear :-))

Asking for a "good and quick" overview on statistics is almost asking for mutually exclusive things. However, I think that I published articles on my sourceforge site https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/files/Articles/ that may be helpful in particular with regard to the interaction with GeigerLog:

• "Potty Training"
  • This presents how to use GeigerLog with household Potassium to study some radioactive properties with GMC counters, which you can easily reproduce. It also explains the statistics, as applicable to such real world experiments and GeigerLog.

• "Going Banana"
  • Goes one step further and demonstrates that you can even measure the famous Banana-radioactivity, using the most simple GMC-300E counter, GeigerLog, and patience. Understanding the basic statistics becomes important for the interpretation of the data.

• Anything beyond
  • Look first into Wikipedia for more. You will be facing a steep hill!

Go to Top of Page
Reply #14

rodorr@comcast.net

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2020 :  04:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Again, thanks for the app and the pointers.

Robert
Go to Top of Page
Reply #15

jcwren

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2020 :  11:23:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having a real problem getting GeigerLog running. First and foremost, while I've been writing software for over 40 years in a multitude of languages, EVERY time I get involved with Python, it turns into a nightmare.

First I tried installing it under Cygwin, my preferred environment when I have to do use a Windows machine. For some reason, trying to install PyQt5 would whine that "setuptools" wasn't installed, although I had installed it immediately before attempting to install PyQt5. No idea what's going on there, so I installed the Windows version of python. Got all the modules finally installed from a CMD.EXE shell, except for 'pyaudio', which wants 'portaudio.h', which doesn't appear to be Windows friendly. I was hoping that was optional, but checking the end of the list of errors below, I see that it is not.

Trying to run it with `python geigerlog' returns a bunch of warnings from 'pyutils.h'. Is this supposed to happen? All this is python3, specifically 3.8.5. Is there some magic to getting 'portaudio' installed so I can (in theory) wind up with 'portaudio.h', so I can (in theory) install 'pyaudio'?

C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4>python geigerlog
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:645: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:652: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:698: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if w is not "WARNING" and h is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:698: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if w is not "WARNING" and h is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:708: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:716: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:726: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:745: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:753: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:758: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:763: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:773: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:780: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:787: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:800: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:814: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:826: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:836: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:845: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:853: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:861: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:869: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:879: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:889: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:898: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:906: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:914: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:921: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:934: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:939: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:944: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:950: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:956: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:967: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:977: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:986: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:997: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1007: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1017: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1027: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1034: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1049: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1054: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1059: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1065: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1071: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1081: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1091: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1100: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1105: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1110: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1116: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1122: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1134: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1144: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1151: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1158: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1167: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1179: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1188: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1199: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1209: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1216: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1223: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1232: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1244: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1253: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1263: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1273: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1282: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1286: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1290: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1294: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1298: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1302: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py:1306: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if t is not "WARNING":
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "geigerlog", line 56, in <module>
    from   gutils            import *
  File "C:\Users\jcw\Downloads\geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4\gutils.py", line 43, in <module>
    import pyaudio                      # used here for sound messages
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pyaudio'

Go to Top of Page
Reply #16

ullix

Germany
491 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2020 :  23:44:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I also have a few decades of experience with programming, and I say that Python is the most logic, powerful, easy and safe language to use. Problems do come up with distributions - first and foremost Windows - trying to impose their own modification. But unfortunately, Linux distributions also are not free from it.

And then Python is changing so much and so quickly, that it also is burden to keep pace.

However, whatever the OS you are running, you need to get Python running first. Re Cygwin, I am sure you are aware of the warning the Cygwin folks post prominently on top of their homepage re what "it isn't" https://www.cygwin.com/

It is unclear to me: are you now using a native Windows machine - and if so, important question!, which version? - or are you still on Cygwin? It sounds as if you did not install Python in a version compiled specifically for Cygwin? If that fails, I am not so very much surprised.

Please note that Python does not use header files. A file pyutils.h does not exist. You probably meant gutils.py? These Warnings came up with Python3.8; other problems resulted from Python3.7, but only in combination with new PyQt5 versions. :-(

The new release will take care of this; at present Python3.6 should work with the GeigerLog testing version geigerlog-v0.9.93pre4.

Another headache came up with Windows 10, when it became impossible to install pyaudio due to changes made by Microsoft. I am working on this matter, but so far can only suggest to use an older Windows version.

Go to Top of Page
Reply #17

ullix

Germany
491 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2020 :  04:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GeigerLog 1.0 has finally be released !

Not much has changed, and it shouldn't have for a first, officially stable release.

Installation has again become a little easier, in particular on Windows, with a focus laid on Python 3.8, and the avoidance of hard to install modules.

A guidance for the installation of GeigerLog on a Raspberry Pi has been added
to this manual, including a use example with a GMC-300E+ counter

But one thing, however, has gotten a major revision, which is the Calibration Fac-
tor. It is now the inverse of the old definition:

new Calibration Factor = 1 / old Calibration Factor

Why the change? To make things easier. Read more in the chapter "Appendix G – Calibration" in the GeigerLog-Manual on page 92.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.33 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000