WiFi Enabling a GMC-300E+ Counter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2022 :  05:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This counter has no built-in WiFi. Any kind of logging with it requires a USB cable between it and the logging computer, which obviously limits the possible distance between the two.

I demonstrate here that a low-cost Raspi computer can be used to WiFi enable this counter.

The counter will be connected to the Raspi by the usual USB cable, and the Raspi is running a rather simple Python script, which establishes a HTTP Web Server, making it act as a WiFiServer for GeigerLog, which can send data to GeigerLog for saving, printing, plotting in the usual way (requires GeigerLog Version 1.3 or later).

Of course, all is Open Source and well documented, so any other software can also be used, and the script is a single-file only.

A package with instructions and software Using Raspi as GeigerLog WiFiServer Device can be downloaded from the Raspi folder of my sourceforge site: https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/files/Raspi/

The pictures are from my setup and from an overnight run transferring data from the GMC-300E+ to GeigerLog via WiFi. No connections to the Raspi other than USB cable and power supply are needed. (The colored wires are from a different setup using the Raspi as an I2C device WiFiServer.)

As a rare occurence for "only" an overnight run, the counter data are textbook-perfect!

Of course, it also works with any other GMC counter. While those WiFi capable counters can send data no faster than once per minute, using the Raspi easily allows a cycle time of 1 sec! (A bit faster still possible, but here the counter itself becomes limiting.)

Details in the instructions in the download package.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.14 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000