GMC-300 option for pulse output?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JP_Austin

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  19:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking into networking my GMC-300 and found that the h**p://www.radiationnetwork.com/ offers some software that will work with pulse output type radiation detectors. The CPM-300 puts out an encoded data packet every second. Is there an option to make the CPM-300 output a pulse type output over the USB port? I realize that the unit has a USB to serial converter built in and I have been looking at the commands the unit supports. So far I tried to issue a

<GETVERS>>

I get back this: GMC-300Re 2.36

<HEARTBEAT0>>

As stated in the command format no response. The software then looking for the pulse output records zero pulses! That makes sense as I asked the unit to not transmit data every second.

What I am hoping for is a command to put the unit into the pulse per count mode. Can this be done?

JP
Reply #1

JP_Austin

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  07:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess the answer is no. I will not get the Radiationnetwork software then.

I did get the unit to communicate on a world map for free by going to Radiation@Home and following the instructions on the forum. It's now live. h**p://radioactiveathome.org/map/

JP
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  13:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The < HEARTBEAT0 >> command is to stop sending data from GMC-300.
The < HEARTBEAT1 >> command is to start sending data from GMC-300.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

JP_Austin

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  07:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I understood that. I was asking if a new function could be implemented in a new version of the firmware to support a pulse output through the USB interface. I am not exactly sure how that would be carried out since the USB only acts as a RS232 to USB conversion. A pulse output would not really comply to any recognized communication format for USB or RS232. Most of these other sensors put out a logic high per count. If the format of the data were structured to only provide a single pulse per count that would essentially provide the function. Something to consider.

JP
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

JP_Austin

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  19:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The news is that the Radioactive@Home site is now able to read the GMC-300 and report the readings onto the BOINC map. See the link below. It's working fairly well now. The application properly reads the model number and version of firmware.

MAP
ht ://radioactiveathome.org/script/graph/drawweekdotted.php?hostid=7898

Site
ht ://radioactiveathome.org

To make the links work add the "tp" to the ht**

JP

Edited by - JP_Austin on 07/01/2013 19:06:17
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2014 :  09:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since Jan-2014, new model GMC-300E Plus and GMC-320 Plus come with standard analog data port. It outputs pulses for connection of third party software.

Image Insert:

82.07 KB

TOOL-081 is able to convert this analog pulse into USB signal.
See:
http://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4544
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

delf

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2015 :  18:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will, the TOOL-080 cable work with the RadiationNetwork's "GeigerGraph" program?

I discovered that the audio cable recommended for that app is looking for a 5V pulse and the GMC-320Plus only produces a -1V pulse.

Thanks,
Delf
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000