GeigerLog - UPDATE: 0.9.92 released
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ullix

Germany
418 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2019 :  04:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A major overhaul behind the scenes, but the user of just a GMC counter will barely notice the difference. The last stop before the 1.0 release.

The Windows installation, though, has gotten much, much simpler with the support of the very latest Python and graphic toolkit; details in the manual.

All available for download at the GeigerLog site at SourceForge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/

Image Insert:

175426 bytes

GeigerLog now supports multiple new devices, including I2C based sensors, more IoT devices, LabJack.

Of particular interest to Geiger aficionados will be the new support for audio-click signals from counters to collect CPS and CPM data, making classic counters, low cost counters, as well as the latest semiconductor counters available for handling and recording with GeigerLog. And all devices can be connected at the same time.

As the GMC counters offer both a digital output, as well as an audio-click output, they are a nice target to validate the AudioCounter performance of GeigerLog. Here an example for a GMC-300E+ counter, blue is digital connection, red is audio connection. No difference:

Image Insert:

115136 bytes

More thorough presentation and discussion in this article: GeigerLog-AudioCounter-Support https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/files/Articles/GeigerLog-AudioCounter-Support-v2.0.pdf/download

Edited by - ullix on 09/03/2019 01:03:03
Reply #1

EmfDev

910 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2019 :  12:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your software @ullix. I will pin it on top.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

ullix

Germany
418 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2019 :  09:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, EmfDev, I hope people will try it and report any issues whatsoever to move GeigerLog into the 1.0 status.

I have two new device suggestions for GQ:

You may have noticed that I am quite keen on this little new Smart Geiger Pro (SGP-001) device. It measures radioactivity just like a Geiger counter, but is based not on Geiger-Müller tubes, but on semiconductor PI diodes. And this SGP-001 produces audio-clicks only, which was the driving force for me to implement audio counters in GeigerLog.

Technically, the device is simple. Given GQ's ability to produce the current line of counters, it should be even easier to produce a similar device, but housed in a box like your current counters. This would also allow to implement a larger array of PIN diodes. Perceived problem with the current size, while the sensitivity is perfectly ok for the detection of dangerous radiation, your customers tend to overvalue sensitivity. So, offer it. That would be device #1.

Far more attractive is the 2nd option. While in a Geiger-Müller tube a pulse is the same no matter what the energy of the quantum, a pulse from a semiconductor is largely proportional to the quantum energy! Thus, you can create a SPECTROMETER at manufacturing costs similar to your current devices (selling price might become a different story ;-)) This would be absolutely unique, showing a spectrum on your display, albeit a rough one. The better version could be Peltier cooled for better resolution...

And, needless, to say, GeigerLog is ready to measure such spectra as of this latest version!

Unfortunately, it will not be trivial. The manufacturer of the SGP-001, SmartFTLab, is selling a module, where they have done exactly what would be needed for a spectrum analyzer, and led the voltage signal outside. h**p://allsmartlab.com/eng/294-2/

I tested the module, and failed badly. But as it worked even poorer that the SGÜ-001 device, I am confident that eventually I'll get a module, which does what it is claimed to do.

The spectrum analyzer&counter could be your device #2. A world-first!

Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

ZLM

1241 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2019 :  11:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your suggestion. Basically GQ already studied on this.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

ullix

Germany
418 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  01:31:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regression Alert on Windows!

Users reported problems in Windows installations, and it turned out to be a regression and/or specific to certain Windows installations. Special thanks to users theMike and ikerrg!

See note in GeigerLog manual re the use of pip or pip3!

matplotlib
MUST NOT use latest matplotlib 3.1.0! Force a previous version with pip command, e.g.:
pip3 install matplotlib==3.0.3

pyaudio
pyaudio MUST be at least version 0.2.11

Problem: While GeigerLog runs well on Python3.7.x, the pyaudio site has no supporting files precompiled for the use with pip, and compilation options are typically not available for standard Windows installations.

Workaround: Download a 'Wheel' file from here: https://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pyaudio and install

Example for a 64bit Windows: download PyAudio-0.2.11-cp37-cp37m-win_amd64.whl, change into the directory where the download was saved, and install with administrator privileges with command:
pip3 install PyAudio-0.2.11-cp37-cp37m-win_amd64.whl

GeigerLog still not working? Let me know.

Edited by - ullix on 06/07/2019 07:06:13
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

ullix

Germany
418 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2019 :  01:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GeigerLog in its latest version 0.9.92 now supports an additional breed of Geiger counters, i.e. the Gamma-Scout variety:

https://www.gamma-scout.com/en/measures-radioactivity-easily-and-reliably/

Other changes make installation a bit more streamlined by using only the latest PyQt5 toolkit on all systems, and some rare events were caught and mitigated.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.22 sec. Snitz Forums 2000