New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

balthus

Belgium
4 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2021 :  06:30:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I just received my gmc-600+ via amazon (living in europe, so amazon was easier for tax/customs).
However, i already noticed annoying bug regarding the battery status.

It charged the whole night and icon is still showing half full.
Also when charging the percentage keeps changing like 34%, 50%, 36%...

Is this a firmware issue and if so where can we get latest version.
Does other ppl had similar issues or maybe the provided battery is faulty?

Is there a firmware page with some history of fixes?

Best regards,
Reply #1

EmfDev

2132 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2021 :  10:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi balthus, can you email me your serial number? I will check the update for you. You can find it under Main Menu -> About -> Serial Number. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

kotarak

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2021 :  15:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had version 2.19 in my GMC-600+, currently running 2.22 (which fixed some bugs but introduced new ones) and unfortunately there is no improvement with the battery indicator during charging. During discharge it seems to measure OK but during charging it is not reliable at all. Here is what I wrote in a different post regarding the charge icon:
"- battery charge metering is very inconsistent and all over the place, especially during charging. For example: during charging my units shows randomly 52% then a moment later 68% than back to 65%. When I unplug it at 70% and turn it on it shows 83% with a msg but the battery icon is showing 100%. Repeated checks for the battery voltage thru the menu shows 80% - 81% -79% -81%"
I learned quickly that the best way is to plug it overnight and in the morning I have charged unit and simply I don't rely or even try to observe the indicator during charge.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

Damien68

France
777 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2021 :  01:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kotarak
I learned quickly that the best way is to plug it overnight and in the morning I have charged unit and simply I don't rely or even try to observe the indicator during charge.

I think like you that this is the best method.
to make a gauge as like there is on telephones, it is necessary to measure the current which enters and leaves the battery with a component specially made for this. obviously it has a cost.
Just by measuring the voltage of the battery, and in this context it cannot be very precise, but perhaps it could be better centered and more SW/HW filtered. but in any case, shouldn't expect too much.

Mastery is acquired by studying, with it everything becomes simple

Edited by - Damien68 on 02/26/2021 01:38:21
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

balthus

Belgium
4 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2021 :  05:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, indeed. Battery calibration/monitoring is never easy and depends on lot of factor.

I just want to be sure that the battery display is dissociated from the real charging part so it will stop charging before the battery over charge and could be destroyed or set on fire.

Best regards
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

Damien68

France
777 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2021 :  07:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
on my GMC-500 + (the PCB is the same I think), I followed the traces of the PCB, there is a component specialized for the battery charger (U8 marked 'LTH7' on its case). after googling it, it is an 'LTC4054ES5-4.2' from Analog Devices with a RPROG resistance of 2k7 which makes a recharge current of 370 mA. So, the charger circuit is a stand alone one and independent of the measurements made by the microcontroller.

Mastery is acquired by studying, with it everything becomes simple

Edited by - Damien68 on 02/26/2021 08:45:16
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

Searinox

Romania
48 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  06:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My GMC-600 always showed battery during charging fairly accurately, it was only after a previous update - I do believe 2.19 - that I started having issues like yours. Now on 2.22 the behavior persists, if discharged to 90%, it shows around 60% during charging and after slowly climbing to about 72% and staying there for a while, it jumps straight to 100%.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

EmfDev

2132 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  10:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will let the team know about this issue. Also Searinox, how long have you had the device? The battery also needs to be checked. It lasts around 1000 charge.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

Searinox

Romania
48 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  02:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The battery has been recharged less than 10 times. The device is almost 2 years old. What I need to note however, is that the issue started suddenly after a firmware update. As it stands now the battery continues to function normally and can last for an estimated 1-2 weeks of non-stop running at background levels of radiation with minimum screen backlight, LED and speaker on. Even when the device is at 90-99% charge, plugging it in while it's turned off shows the charge at around 60% until it's done charging.

Edited by - Searinox on 03/10/2021 02:33:34
Go to Top of Page
Reply #9

EmfDev

2132 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  10:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see, we will check this and see if there was changes in the battery reading. Do you remember your initial firmware version?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #10

blargg

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2021 :  05:37:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A general tip for devices you don't use a lot that have a lithium-ion battery: keep the battery charged only to around 50%. This reduces age-related degradation. Just don't let it drain all the way down in storage (check it once or twice a year).
Go to Top of Page
Reply #11

FBSMatt

Ireland
32 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2021 :  05:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 600+ has had something similar from new. It never bothered me though, I can just swap the battery or charge it externally. Interesting to hear of someone else with a similar defect.

What Signature?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #12

EmfDev

2132 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2021 :  09:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is fixed in a latest update. But let me know if it still exists.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000