2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 GMC320+V4 pulsative high CPM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

harley

6 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  20:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using my GMQ320+V4 for 10 days, and have been realtime- monitoring both indoor and outdoor ionizing radiation level. There have been so many high readings in realtime data, which range from 150 to 400 CPM, and each episode lasts about 1 minute. When looking at downloaded data, 128 and 192 CPM of one second length could be found associated with most of the high readings.But such high readings could not be found in downloaded history data. I do not know the reason for this, is it false reading or true record of radiaiton level?
Reply #1

EmfDev

681 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  09:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi harley, what do you mean that you can't find the high readings in the history data and by saying when looking at downloaded data?

Have you tried to factory reset the device? Does it happen when you put the device in just one place?
Even if it's false reading, it should still record it to the history data.

But if you're seeing it within 1 minute means there is one high pulse within that minute. Could be that it's a tube issue.

If problems are not fixed, you can email support for warranty.

Edited by - EmfDev on 07/11/2019 10:07:26
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

harley

6 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  23:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, EmfDev,thank you for your reply. I post an image to get my question more clear. The upper part is downloaded data for realtime monitoring, from which we can see high readings at several time points.At 22:03, a 192 could be seen, which contributed mostly to the high reading of 210 at that specific moment. But when I tried to look for this in non-realtime history data, as is shown as lower part of the inserted image, everything seemed OK. I don't know if there are problems with the systemic clock, which cause unmatched data,since nearly all data at same time points are not identical.

Image Insert:

459633 bytes

Edited by - harley on 07/12/2019 00:15:50
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

EmfDev

681 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  09:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like it's the pc software issue and not the tube. May I ask what version of software you're using?

Edited by - EmfDev on 07/12/2019 09:54:12
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

harley

6 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  10:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EmfDev

Seems like it's the pc software issue and not the tube. May I ask what version of software you're using?

Hi,Thanks a lot. My current version of GQ GMC Data Viewer is Re2.59, and most of the data are recorded indoors. One of my concern is how severe the ionizing radiaiton of this level is, if it does reflect the situation. Thanks.

Edited by - harley on 07/12/2019 10:47:58
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

EmfDev

681 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  12:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We will upload a new version software today or Monday, hopefully it fixes the problem.

If the reading is that high depends on how long and if you think about it, it is like 6-10 times the background CPM so you are absorbing 6x radiation than normal. Probably not that bad if only for a few seconds.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

harley

6 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  06:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot. I wonder if the problem I have encountered has happened to anyone else? What seems to be the underlying mechanisms and how is the characteristics been outlined? I have updated to the version 2.60, and the spikes of readings disappear all at once. My hope is that any revision of software would not influence the sensitivity of detection power of the device.Thanks again.
quote:

We will upload a new version software today or Monday, hopefully it fixes the problem.

If the reading is that high depends on how long and if you think about it, it is like 6-10 times the background CPM so you are absorbing 6x radiation than normal. Probably not that bad if only for a few seconds.

Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

EmfDev

681 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  09:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's more likely that people who used the 2.59 encountered same problem. The software won't affect the sensitivity of the device.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

harley

6 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  10:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sincerely hope that the new version stemed from prosepctive of function improvement and thourough analysis of reported problems, of which my cases and other similar ones may have consisted parially, and not simply deleting such "outliers".Thank you for your help and
please forgive me for being straightforward.
quote:

It's more likely that people who used the 2.59 encountered same problem. The software won't affect the sensitivity of the device.

Go to Top of Page
Reply #9

EmfDev

681 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  11:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's ok, this problem occurred because the data from the device was not synced with the software. The software thought it took the right data but actually that data/bits were suppose to signify the start of the data.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #10

harley

6 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  12:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I can understand a little bit now. Here I provide some observations of the problem in case further optimal modifications are needed.The intervals between high values are not random but are as multiples of 5 minutes, such as 10,15,25,30 minutes. Sometimes 2 spikes can show up in 2 successive minutes. The main componants of spikes are 128,164 or 192 CPMs, all are various mutiples of 64 and last no more than 1 second. Test environment affect the frequencies of high value readings, while indoor condition is a stable loci to have high frequency results.Wish more users may find the discription and discussion helpful.
quote:

It's ok, this problem occurred because the data from the device was not synced with the software. The software thought it took the right data but actually that data/bits were suppose to signify the start of the data.

Go to Top of Page
Reply #11

EmfDev

681 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2019 :  12:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 128 (h0x80) and 192 (hxC0) are supposed to be start bits of 2 bytes data. But looks like it got messed up and was read as a real data.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.14 sec. Snitz Forums 2000