Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 4. GQ Hot Air Soldering Rework Station
 Unit blows fuse when all switches are off ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joseph

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2015 :  11:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my rework station last June and now it blows fuses even when air flow and iron switches are off.

Just to pug in the cord is enough to blow the fuse. No display at all.

What should I check inside to diagnose the unit. Bought the unit at MCUmall GQ Electronics Store Canada

Can you help?. Thank you

Joseph
Reply #1

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2015 :  12:20:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe you got two Thyristor BTA06 OR BTA08 burned. You need to replace those two Thyristors BTA06 or BTA08.

Those controls cooling down air. In this case, the switch off does not cut off its power.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

Joseph

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2015 :  13:09:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see 3 thyristors 2 BT136 and 1 BTA08. Is there a schematic for this Unit? That would help. Thanks. Does GQ have them in stock?

quote:
Originally posted by ZLM

I believe you got two Thyristor BTA06 OR BTA08 burned. You need to replace those two Thyristors BTA06 or BTA08.

Those controls cooling down air. In this case, the switch off does not cut off its power.

Joseph
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2015 :  10:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those thyristors should be same. All can be BTA06 OR BTA08.

Use your multi-meter to check them. You can easily find out the problem. check T1, T2. another one is for iron.

If your station within one year factory warranty, then you can get free part for that. You may need to pay shipping only.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

Joseph

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2015 :  10:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update on my initial request. I was contacted by GQ support staff and they helped me with the diagnosis and provided me with schematic and replacement parts. Thanks to ZLM. You were right, one of the triac was shorted, BTA08, It was relatively easy to access the board and install the new triac. I also checked the handle and there was some plastic melting inside but the element was still working, 30 Ohm for 120 V. I cleaned up some of the melted plastic so the air flow would be good. Although I received parts to replaced the handle I kept it as is as it is working. I would have to destroy the handle to change the inner parts.
Thank you all for your help and assistance, especially the GQ support stall. Great job at helping me. Great unit to work with.

Joseph

Joseph
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.16 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000