GMC-200 and others
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  17:36:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just another thought, has anyone actually used longer cables for this unit or other one. In other words, can we use extensions within reason. Is or would it be ok to either run a USB extension between the usb interface or a audio extension to be able to mount the unit further away than using the short cable it comes with now.. thanks Frank
Reply #1

Craig

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  11:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank.

I've extended the audio side of the Medcom "Inspector" data cable 40 feet with no problem --to 5000cpm --at which point the upper Poisson distribution of 1/1000 second wide pulses start to overlap (and so the response at the computer data display and log starts to roll-off, regardless of cable length).

* Medcom's data cable is medium impedance, while EQ's is significantly lower (on the audio side), so I expect the cable can be considerably longer --especially if it's a shielded pair (shield common to the low [sleeve and/or ring] side at the computer end of the extension).

* I'm purchasing a GMC-200 for environmental testing (temperature and UV/sun light). In the course of that, I'll also be testing with an 80 foot audio side extension. I'll do the cable ext tests first.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

Craig

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  11:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PS: I've read that the USB side should normally not be extended more than 15 feet --unless a powered repeater cable is used.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000