GMC-300 good for product testing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chevkoch

3 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  13:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!

One of the main reasons I'm looking for a radiation detector is that I'd like to use it to determine whether products are safe radioactive contamination-wise, e.g. to test for unsafe levels when I'll be buying a new digital camera. I'd like to be able to make informed purchasing choices based on tests performed.

The GMC-300 looks very interesting: the features, cost, compact size. Would I be able to use this unit for the purpose described? Does the lack of Alpha detection matter in this case?

Also, do any of you have experiences to share having used the GMC-300 for similar purposes? All input is appreciated, thanks much!
Reply #1

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  07:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GMC-300 is for general purpose nuclear radiation monitoring. I think it should work for you case. Most of radiation contamination have Beta ray and Gamma ray.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

Pheckphul

8 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  00:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't it be merely a re-design of the case to detect alpha particles? i.e. the current case interferes with the alpha particle detection, but replacing the lower-left bottom edge with an alpha-transparent design and replacing the M4011 with an LND-712 would fix the case issue, correct? Of course a sliding cover would have to be made to protect the 'radiation window' as by necessity it would have to be made of thin material, such as EJ-590.

How about a GMC-400 that also detect alpha particles?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  22:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of Alpha sensitive tubes have higher cost. It may exceed current GMC-300 price just on tube itself.

The GMC-300 hardware is ready to accept different tubes. So, you can modify GMC-300 for a Alpha sensitive tube.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.11 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000