Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Anyone else ever get X-ray signals near hospitals?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolfess

5 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2024 :  21:54:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was curious how much runoff some places might have so took my 300E+ near this dentist office that was basically just a little house and while waiting around in the alley I noticed occasionally I could get audible spikes on the meter followed by a slight increase in the count shortly after someone visited.

Has anyone else ever tried this before near medical places that do X-Ray? I'm tempted to pocket log while going for a walk through the local big hospital complex next.
Reply #1

ullix

Germany
1115 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2024 :  02:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An interesting observation! Though honestly I doubt it is caused by dental X-rays, and more some odd coincidence. However, certainly worth a second look.

Try to also record your walk-path with timing stamps - using a smartphone with Google maps? - so you can correlate any Geiger counter spikes with position. Looking forward to see data!
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

Wolfess

5 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2024 :  01:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ullix

An interesting observation! Though honestly I doubt it is caused by dental X-rays, and more some odd coincidence. However, certainly worth a second look.

Try to also record your walk-path with timing stamps - using a smartphone with Google maps? - so you can correlate any Geiger counter spikes with position. Looking forward to see data!

Hmm I will try to take some second looks throughout this week. Thank you, I have a Garmin eTrex 20x GPS that's really good at making tracks and I was actually considering doing just that with it as well since it's small and can stash with my GMC300 and the battery lasts all day.

Do you know if there any programs that can combine the .csv logs from my counter with the .gpx from my handheld to make a sort of radation track?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

ullix

Germany
1115 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2024 :  00:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Do you know if there any programs that can combine the .csv logs from my counter with the .gpx from my handheld to make a sort of radation track?
Yes, GeigerLog can do it. Well, almost.

You need to have 2 CSV files in the GeigerLog format. Then program GLmerger.py (in GL's gtools directory) can do the merging. For some help info start it with : 'GLmerger.py -h'

The counter CSV is easy: download the counter history into GeigerLog and save it as CSV (command in the History menu).

The GPS CSV file is more difficult. Perhaps using Excel to create a file with columns DateTime, Lat, Lon?

More critical is the DateTime stamp. That from the GPS is of course perfect. But all GCM counters have a timing chip with lousy precision, showing a drift near 20 sec/day!!!

I suggest to prepare by making a factory reset of the counter, and then set the time. Can both be done easily with GeigerLog.

After your radia-walk you should first verify that there are any bumps at all in the counter data. Clicking the Moving-Average might be helpful when inspecting the data. Good luck!

Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

GBG12

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2024 :  12:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's likely that a dental X-ray emits a cone of radiation each time it takes an image, and they would be brief, on the order of 1/60 of a second. My own dental x-rays are 2 images each side, separated by maybe 30 seconds to position the imaging plate. I think the images with the X-ray source aimed at the alley would be readily seen in the GM tube data. I wonder if anyone has studied cancer rates next door to dentist offices.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000