Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Light Sensitivity of Glass Geiger Tubes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ullix Posted - 09/15/2022 : 01:50:12
After the recent discovery of old scientific literature by SelTec and Damien I took another look at the light sensitivity of my own, some dozen glass Geiger tubes. And all do respond to near-UV (395 nm), albeit to a different extent. So, my own experiments confirm the literature. This leads me to say that indeed:

All Geiger tubes made from glass are light sensitive!

Everybody will measure some "sunshine" but not necessarily radioactivity. Just to a different extent, depending on how lucky you got with the tube in your counter.

As a remedy I tried black heat-shrinking tubing to wrap the tube. This resulted in a significant reduction of the light-sensitivity, but it was not a complete cure.

Of course, as a side effect it reduces the Geiger sensitivity of the tube.

I summarized my findings in my article "GeigerLog-Light Sensitivity of Glass Geiger Tubes" in my article folder:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/files/Articles/

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ihab17 Posted - 09/21/2022 : 07:46:15
quote:

So you agree that the light sensitivity problem existed, and now that you've solved the defect, you will be offering to all users a replacement for all their dysfunctional tubes?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Great comment
ullix Posted - 09/21/2022 : 07:08:51
quote:
We have been using the black shrink tube to cover the tube for a while and this problem has been solved.

Great.

So you agree that the light sensitivity problem existed, and now that you've solved the defect, you will be offering to all users a replacement for all their dysfunctional tubes?
EmfDev Posted - 09/19/2022 : 09:40:34
We have been using the black shrink tube to cover the tube for a while and this problem has been solved.
ihab17 Posted - 09/15/2022 : 05:15:12
So you finally figured out the answer to your long-running question that I have read in your posts asking and telling EmfDev since ages!

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.03 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000