Occupational Radiation Limits
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2021 :  08:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am just reviewing some GeigerLog stuff in prep for a new release, and dug a bit deeper into this table, part of which you might have seen in GeigerLog already:

The differences are astonishing, to say the least! Over one year the US citizens are considered 2.5 times “tougher” than the Germans? And over the lifetime even 5.9 times tougher?

An even more intricate difference becomes visible when one computes dose rate per hour for yearly, lifelong and for each country: the German limit sinks twofold, while the US limit increases ap­prox. 20%? Say what, the Germans become feebler as they age and need to be more protected, while the Americans grow even sturdier and take the extra?

This indicates a fundamentally different view between the two countries on how radiation effects health. I can’t imagine that this has anything to do with Science. It is a legal thing. Everything seems possible when facts don’t matter!
Reply #1

Damien68

France
777 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2021 :  09:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found an interesting article from the ICRP which gathers observed statistical data.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/ANIB_37_2-4
see page 209
the over probability of developing a fatal cancer is 4.83% for a man and 6.6% for a woman and by Sv

even at low doses the risk is not zero.

also the US / German standards are the result of negotiations between unions and lobbing.

maybe the exposure premiums are not the same? it becomes political.

Clearly for me employees in the nuclear field are respected, the worst situations I have heard of are in the chemical industry in the 80s, a period more or less gone now.

Mastery is acquired by studying, with it everything becomes simple

Edited by - Damien68 on 11/19/2021 17:00:51
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

ihab17

Italy
212 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2021 :  01:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your last sentence says everything: "I can’t imagine that this has anything to do with Science. It is a legal thing. Everything seems possible when facts don’t matter!"
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

Damien68

France
777 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2021 :  03:01:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Above all, I don't want to be in politics, but to play the devil's advocate, statistically speaking today and globally speaking working in a coal mine is more dangerous than working in the nuclear industry.

Mastery is acquired by studying, with it everything becomes simple
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000