Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Does radiation rub off or contaminate meter?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Threadkiller

2 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2021 :  05:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may be a silly question to some knowledgeable people on here but I really can’t find a clear answer. I know radiation contaminates things in cases of fallout and such but where does it stop?

My question is my father got some radioactive seeds put in for a case of prostate cancer so I gave him my GMC-500 to keep track of his radiation levels. Does that radioactivity rub off or contaminate the counter in any way? My common sense is telling me no because then these Geiger counters would be one time use and disposable but I’d rather be safe than sorry when I get it back. Any insight into my slight paranoia is greatly appreciated.
Reply #1

Damien68

France
780 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2021 :  06:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there are no risks,
radiation and countamination are two very different things.

radiation is rays that can go through a lot of things. they are emitted by radioactive particles and have no effect on your meter other than being detected when they pass.

we speak of comptamination not when we are simply exposed to radiation but when we are a carrier of radioactive particles. for example dust of enriched uranium or radioactive iodine, and this dust will then emit radiations during his whole life what can be a concern.

also if device is simply exposed to radiation, there is no risk of contamination. to have a contamination it is necessary that dust of radioactive material are presents and settles on the counter or inside the counter.

to avoid this those who go to sensitive sites such as chernobyle place their meter in a plastic bag to prevent radioactive dust from getting inside their devices which will contaminate it because at chernobyle it is full of dust of radioactive material more or less volatile that can end up suspended in the air. of course they also protect themselves with special suits which do not protect against radiation, but prevent radioactive dust present in the air from settling on them to avoid being contaminated.

Mastery is acquired by studying, with it everything becomes simple

Edited by - Damien68 on 09/20/2021 08:14:51
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

Threadkiller

2 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2021 :  08:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is great to know thank you for the informative response!
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

EmfDev

2142 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2021 :  09:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information @Damien68.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000