DP-63-A: radium scales and other info
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jlp1528

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2020 :  10:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I would post my own findings on this portable Russian Geiger counter.

First of all, not all DP-63-A units have radium scales, as the product went through several revisions much like the CDV-700s. Personally I bought three of them and only got lucky with one. Unfortunately, only the earlier models have the radium scales, and pictures alone usually won't indicate which model it is. Here is a video with more information:https://youtu.be/f2lRiWsf4KE

However, if you do get one with a radium scale, it will be very obvious, as a modern digital Geiger counter like a GMC-500+ or especially the 600+ will start going berserk when placed anywhere near the "display" of the DP-63-A. Be VERY careful when taking these things apart - wear gloves, be as gentle as possible, and have a ziplock bag or five ready to put the scale in as soon as it's liberated from the unit. The activity of this "sample" is at a level where you should consider a using a small lead container to store it. It's well over 1 mSv/hr and a significant portion of that is gamma.

Another thing to keep in mind is those Sr-90 check sources, which are also considerably hot. That said, if you want to add some Sr-90 to your collection, a DP-63-A is probably your best bet. Since the source is inside the unit, it's much less likely to have been removed than the sources in other Russian or Polish Geiger counters. Chances are if the check source is a loose part it's been removed for "legal concerns" or other stupid technicalities, and I'm not sure how you would get the source out of the probe in the case of the DP-5V (if the authorities haven't already done so...)

Finally, although there was a previous thread claiming that the scale is over 1 million CPM on a GMC-500+, I'm not sure how that happened. Neither my 500+ nor my 600+ can measure it at all unless I turn off dead time - there's some runaway math error because the sample is simply too hot, so they crash. With dead time off I get readings of up to 300,000 CPM with the 500+ and up to 500,000 CPM with the 600+. Of course, these are still very high readings - again, well over 1 mSv/hr - SO PLEASE, TAKE THIS THING SERIOUSLY!!!

Edited by - jlp1528 on 07/07/2020 10:25:52
Reply #1

Pilot25dmc

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2020 :  13:25:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was me that measured over a million CPM with my 500+, I even showed a picture of its display.

The scale from my DP63A measures almost 7mSv/h of combined Beta & Gamma.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.05 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000