random number generator
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

balkanboy

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2019 :  01:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to use the GMC-500+ to time the intervals between individual decay events of a Cesium-137 10 uci isotope disk. Is the GMC-500+ capable of capturing/sampling all of the decay events of this type of radiation source, and does the data it stores in flash provide timing of the events or not? I noticed on the GQ-RFC1201 protocol, the SPIR command will return historical data stored on the internal flash - however, I need the timing of each event with that data. Does the GMC-500+ provide this or not?

If timing data isn't captured on the flash, then my other question is, does the audio port on the 500+ provide the same data as an analog stream that is captured and digitized on the flash memory?

Thank you!
Reply #1

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2019 :  10:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi balkanboy, yes it stores every decay it detects in the flash memory and can be downloaded using the Data Viewer software. It also stores a timestamp every 3 minutes. Yes the analog output is synchronized with the data stored in the flash memory.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

balkanboy

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2019 :  10:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EmfDev

Hi balkanboy, yes it stores every decay it detects in the flash memory and can be downloaded using the Data Viewer software. It also stores a timestamp every 3 minutes. Yes the analog output is synchronized with the data stored in the flash memory.

Does it store the timestamp for each decay event?

Edited by - balkanboy on 11/19/2019 10:37:53
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2019 :  11:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends on the mode. The default mode is every second. It will store every second data. So yes. You can also change it to every minute/hour.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

Damien68

France
777 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2019 :  15:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the data recorded in the Flash is the number of decay detected by the counter each seconds or minutes.
there are no timestamps especially for each detections.
To make it a random number generator, it's not really the ideal, after that depends on the desired dynamic or entropy level on this number and the acceptable observation duration.
With audio output, I do not know it more but seem to provides the detection shots, if it's connected to a external precision timer, then in this case we are in ideal conditions to generate a random number or sequence of uncorrelated random numbers .
there are some who use the electronic noise generated in resistances or diodes to generate random numbers, I have already heard that the decay were better and more efficient to do that.

Mastery is acquired by studying, with it everything becomes simple

Edited by - Damien68 on 11/19/2019 15:48:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.09 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000