RF exposure levels
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brianwoodward

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2019 :  22:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just bought a GQ EMF -390 meter. I am confused as to how to apply the guidelines for acceptable levels of exposure to High Frequency electromagnetic (RF) radiation. A level of #8804;0.001 mW/mē seems to be an acceptable level quoted by BUILDING BIOLOGY PRECAUTIONARY GUIDELINES (SBM-2015) For Sleeping Areas, as well as the Austrian Medical Association EMF Guidelines. But is this for the whole RF Spectrum combined, or per frequency band, or for each individual frequency? I live in an isolated rural situation in NSW, Australia with our nearest neighbour 2Km away, no mobile phone or television reception and no WI FI or wireless devices. We have stand alone solar electricity and no mains connection. The 390 in Allinone mode shows approx 4.0 (3.9-4.1) mw/m2 almost all the time, inside or out, close to the house or at great distance.
This seems a very high reading, compared to the guidelines, for this situation. The only time it changes is when I plug it into my laptop when the value climbs to average 5.5. Then when I turn on GQ EMF PRO the value climbs again to 6.5. These values fall again when GQ EMF Pro is turned off and the meter is disconnected. When I turn on a mobile phone in the vicinity of the meter the reading stays at 4.0 unless I am in range of a mobile tower(I tested at our nearest tower 18Km away). In RF Table mode the screen shows 0.062mw/m2 at 780Mhz as the top reading. Again this seems a high reading for this apparently RF clean situation.
When using the RF Spectrum mode I get the following graphs.
If the values at the top right of the graphs, which seem to be the sum of mw/m2 for each band, are added together the result is 8443.743mw/m2. How does this relate to the RF reading of 4.0 mw/m2 in the Allinone mode. The default value for the 390 for the RF alarm is 123.33mw/m2. Is this an arbitrary value?
I am an Architect and have been aware of the dangers of EMF for many years but have only recently ventured into monitoring. I am familiar with the basics of electricity and electronics and designed and installed my own solar system and wired our house 40 years ago. Please can you provide some guidance as I am floundering!!!! I

Download Attachment:

Image Insert:

32193 bytes

Image Insert:

33421 bytes

Image Insert:

34115 bytes

Image Insert:

32176 bytes

Image Insert:

35072 bytes

Image Insert:

31775 bytes

Image Insert:

38628 bytes
Reply #1

francois

19 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2019 :  14:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm also a new user, but in a much more urban environment, not too far away from a cell tower. I don't have all answers but I can say I have the same worries about the constant 3 to 4 mW/m2 reading (AllInOne mode) -- with bursts going way up above 100 mW/m2 (that I guess is the cell tower).
I also identify a safe level as < 0.15 mW/m2 (or less).
Moving around in the city I never get a reading below 3 mW/m2.
I also don't understand why the Sum of the Analyzer Sums (values in first line on the right in mW/m2) is far greater than the mW/m2 value on the AllInOne screen (which seems already high).
I am less concerned about the fact that pluging in the USB cable creates an antenna which raises the readings.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  10:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That 4.0 value is because we added the values for the 2.4GHz, 240MHz band and up to 10Ghz band and NOT INCLUDING the bottom 4 from the RF spectrum. Some of them can just be noise from the chips(minimum dBm limitation) and all of those can add up to a lot.Try to get a radio to play some stations. If the radio works, then there RF signals in your area.
As for the USB, the signal maybe is amplified because you connected a wire/antenna or the power could have also affected it.

Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

LeeE

13 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  15:14:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too have a minimum reading of around 4mW/m2 when using the AllInOne display away from all RF emitting devices in my home. However the RF Browser displays 0.000 mW/m2 under the same conditions. Why is there a difference?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  15:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@LeeE,

It's because RF browser is for real time and needs very fast response so it doesn't include the spectrum.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

LeeE

13 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  16:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK thanks - what does it include?

Edited by - LeeE on 01/22/2019 16:47:18
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  16:51:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RF frequency that goes up to 8/10GHz. Still detects some 2.4GHz like a bluetooth mouse/microwave and also can detect smart meters, cell phone/tower, walkie talkie, etc.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

brianwoodward

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  19:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your answer. As the Allinone mode and (I have just realized) the RF Vertical mode include readings between .24 and 10GHz, can a rough idea of the reading between 2.4GHz and 10GHz be derived by subtracting the mW/m2 sum of the .24 and 2.4GHz RF Spectrum from the Allin one mode RF reading? Are you suggesting that the 780MHz reading I am getting is radio reception? My understanding is that Fm radio band is between 88 and 108MHz and that 780MHz is in the Ultra High Frequency (UHF)reserved for TV and Mobile phones, which we are out of range here..
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2019 :  09:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The RF reading in Allinone mode and RF Vertical mode .24-10GHz are the same. I don't think the 780MHz is from a radio station. It can be from cell phone tower? In our area, the peek in the 240 spectrum is at around 740MHz and 870MHz. If you get cellphone reception in the area, means there are still RF signals there.
If you want to you can read the RF Browser. It doesn't include the spectrum values.

Edited by - EmfDev on 01/23/2019 13:32:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000