High EF reading near wall
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emfMonk

1 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2018 :  22:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello,
im new here. i used 390 model to detect radiation levels at home.
I got high EF reading with constant beeping, says "Static" (range 30 to 200 V/m, 2 inches from the wall) from the wall behind the headboard of my bed. Im not sure what is causing this. There is nothing on the other side of the wall. May be some electric wiring within the wall is causing the spike in the reading. There are 2 electric outlets and a desk phone outlet on the wall, but none in use.
I have disturbed sleep, was wondering if this may be the reason. Can anyone help throw some light on safe EF reading for home.
EMF and RF reading are normal.
Thanks in advance
Reply #1

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  21:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Static could mean that there is EF but there is very little to no EMF detected by the device so there might not be current around the wall but there can be EFs from the outlets/wiring. The EF could be coming from there. It can still have EF even if its not in use because of the voltage.

Edited by - EmfDev on 12/11/2018 21:25:50
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  21:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe try to move your bed away from those outlets to see if there's improvement in your sleep.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

mbrando

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2018 :  17:56:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed that I see high V/m near radio antenna, however it drops off quickly inch by inch as you move away from it. A 6 to 12 inch distance can make a difference in your reading.

EMF-390
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

Eric Potratz

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2019 :  18:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the electric field (EF) measuring the static charge that the sensor is pointing at? Are these devices using a rotary shield like an electrostatic field meter? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

Bill D.

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  09:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Electric fields around AC wires, appliances, and antennas are caused mostly by the near field effect and self-capacitance. This is different than a static charge and is not necessarily accompanied by a magnetic field. Near fields do not behave like RF fields. They have their own rules.

See (search for "near field" or "near-field" in these docs):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_and_far_field
https://www.edn.com/design/sensors/4342455/Understanding-electromagnetic-fields-and-antenna-radiation-takes-almost-no-math
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Bertil_Persson/publication/236163732_Radiation_at_Home_Outdoors_and_in_the_Workplace/links/0c960516a5d0bb9946000000/Radiation-at-Home-Outdoors-and-in-the-Workplace.pdf

Edited by - Bill D. on 08/16/2019 12:33:55
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

Eric Potratz

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  09:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill,

Makes sense, but I don't look at the buildup of charge or self-capacitance as any different than static charge. The "near field" (NF) as just the transition from charges at rest to charges in motion (static field > radiant field) where the electric and magnetic fields are not yet balanced/synced.

I originally meant to ask, how do the GQ device(s) detect electric field (EF)? Is the EF sensor able to distinguish static fields and radiative fields? If picking up both static and radiative charges/fields then I imagine there is a frequency (>200Hz?) by which the EF sensor won't pick up the electric field?

My EMF-390 arrives next week so I haven't had a chance to compare it with my electrostatic field meter yet...
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  09:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric, it might be able to distinguish static from oscillating EF. It will display possible sources on the screen.

I believe it should be able to detect EF up to 100-400kHz but low sensitivity in that range.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

Bill D.

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  10:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric. You are correct. By static charge I was thinking of charges that build up due to friction or causes other than oscillating current.

The 390 is able to pick up electrostatic fields and in some cases distinguish them from radiative fields. It becomes more sensitive when there is relative motion between the charge and the meter. So if I hold a charged comb by the meter I may get 30 V/m. But if I wave it (or the meter) rapidly the reading may rise to more than ten times that much. The same thing happens with magnetic fields. A moving magnet causes a much higher reading than a stationary magnet.

Edited by - Bill D. on 08/16/2019 17:32:40
Go to Top of Page
Reply #9

Eric Potratz

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  14:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey EmfDev,

Is the EMF-390 EF detector using a differential or single-ended probe? If single-ended probe, I assume the ground is the reference, and the ground is exposed to the hand while holding?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #10

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  15:18:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not single-ended probe and it it won't be grounded while holding it.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #11

Eric Potratz

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  15:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey EfmDev, is it a differential probe?

I'm trying to get a sense for exactly what EF the probe is measuring. Potential difference between the top and bottom of the device?

I understand that holding the device amplifies the detected EF. If there is no grounding through the hand, perhaps the higher V/m reading is a skin effect (ie., transfer of charge or radiative field) over the body?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #12

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  16:11:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's right the static charges from the body is transferred. The unit has it's own ground.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000