Antiquing with the 600+
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bobakman

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2022 :  18:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took my GMC-600+ for some antiquing the other day and picked up some antique Fiesta Ware pieces and a vaseline glass creamer.
It's nice having a tool that better compliments my UV light while shopping!
I'm keeping my eyes open for a RID-1!

Bob

“If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.”
Nikola Tesla

Edited by - Bobakman on 02/21/2023 04:46:56
Reply #1

Bobakman

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2022 :  14:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 600+ makes up for the fact it is hard in direct sunlight to utilize the UV light but the Alpha and Beta always show up to validate my finds!

Bob

“If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.”
Nikola Tesla
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

ihab17

Italy
212 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2022 :  05:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the latest FW on your device? I picked mine yesterday and it is FW 2.4.2

Edited by - ihab17 on 12/20/2022 07:58:17
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

Bobakman

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2022 :  09:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information Mine is 2.41 I guess I need to update the firmware.
Bob

Nikola Tesla
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2023 :  14:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. Great hunt!
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2023 :  08:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Bob: say, is any pottery, which has "Fiesta" written on it, of that radioactive type?

To what degree is this orange-reddish color a guarantee of this being "Fiesta" or at least like it in terms of radioactivity?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

Bobakman

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2023 :  12:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ullix

@Bob: say, is any pottery, which has "Fiesta" written on it, of that radioactive type?

To what degree is this orange-reddish color a guarantee of this being "Fiesta" or at least like it in terms of radioactivity?

No Sir. Only Fiestaware manufactured during a certain time period mostly Pre World War2 Some was manufactured after the war and radioactive but these they used as I understand it Depleted uranium, pre war they used uranium 235/238 and the stockpiles of the uranium oxide that was used in the glazing process was confiscated by the US government for the war effort.
As far as the "radioactivity" mostly Alpha and I have one piece that has a CPM of 50K The Red is the most active sometimes referred to as "Atomic Red" It's really more orange though.
See the link below for a good read on radioactive Fiestaware.

Bob

[https://www.orau.org/health-physics-museum/collection/consumer/ceramics/fiestaware.html]

Nikola Tesla

Edited by - Bobakman on 03/11/2023 19:25:16
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

StevenL

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2023 :  16:14:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bobakman

I took my GMC-600+ for some antiquing the other day and picked up some antique Fiesta Ware pieces and a vaseline glass creamer.
It's nice having a tool that better compliments my UV light while shopping!
I'm keeping my eyes open for a RID-1!

Bob

Thanks for posting this, this is really interesting. That 28K CPM seems very high and that piece is seriously radioactive.

Is that particular piece of Fiestaware considered dangerous?

Thx

Steven Lightfoot, Eng.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

Bobakman

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2023 :  22:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Typically, No. See here for more information. [https://www.orau.org/health-physics-museum/collection/consumer/ceramics/fiestaware.html]
Bob

Nikola Tesla
Go to Top of Page
Reply #9

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2023 :  04:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This website is amazingly detailed, and with excellent listing of their data sources in true sciency style, much recommended.

But things leave me puzzled:

In the "beta to the hands" section I find :
Distance 	Dose Rate 	Effective Dose Equivalent Rate
Contact 	24 mrad/hr  	0.0024 mrem/hr

This is the highest rate given anywhere on this page. And with "1 milliRem/hour = 10 microSievert/hour" the dose rate of 0.0024 mrem/h becomes 0.024 uSv/h.

When we now take your GMC-600+ counter with its tube having a sensitivity of 348 CPM/(µSv/h), we can expect a count rate of CPM = 348 CPM/(µSv/h) * 0.024 uSv/h = 8.4.

And you are getting CPM = 27912 ?

Ok, I admit the sensitivity is valid only for gamma radiation, and here we are explicitly looking at betas. But so far I have assumed that a Geiger tube sensitivity for betas is in the order of 1%, while that for gammas in the order of 0.1%.

But even then, and including some extra wiggle room, some 3 orders of magnitude difference in CPM remain unexplained.

Anyone having an idea?

Edited by - ullix on 05/03/2023 04:53:07
Go to Top of Page
Reply #10

StevenL

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2023 :  12:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, this is really interesting.

Steven Lightfoot, Eng.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Go to Top of Page
Reply #11

Bobakman

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2023 :  16:51:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a more extensive report with dosage assessments, a long but interesting read.
Go to sec 3.11 for the glazed ceramic tableware.
Bob

https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/nuregs/staff/sr1717/nureg-1717.pdf

Nikola Tesla

Edited by - Bobakman on 05/05/2023 17:02:41
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.09 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000