Energy response curves
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Granophyre

1 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2020 :  08:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Does anybody know where I can find an energy response curve for the tube that is in the GMC300E-plus? I'd appreciate any direction anyone can give.

Reply #1

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2020 :  01:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you ever find such a response curve, please show us! I doubt, however, that such a curve even exists.

You may have to settle for some generic curves, google for "energy response geiger tube" and select pictures. Wikipedia has a representative one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geiger%E2%80%93M%C3%BCller_tube (scroll down).

They all tend to show a similar pattern: low sensitivity around 1 MeV (so the prominent potassium line at 1.4MeV is poorly detected), and high sensitivity slightly below 100keV. But typical clinical x-rays also remain poorly detectable.

Keep in mind that this applies ONLY to gamma radiation! Once your source has any beta radiation, this energy response curve becomes meaningless!

By the way: the tubes in the GMC counters had been M4011, but recently some seem to have been replaced with the cheaper J305 tubes. For neither have I ever seen an energy response curve.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000