Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 New geiger counter and gps logging - GMC-520?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dennis987

2 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2019 :  05:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!

I'm hiking a lot (wildlife photography as a hobby) and i'd be interested in a counter i could leave in one of my camera bag pocket ("net" pocket), to log the background radiation. I got an old CDV-700 in pristine condition, but it's probably not accurate anymore and it's huge - not something you want to carry while hiking! Plus, i'm out for the birds, deer and other critters - not to log data in the first place.

Modern technology is fantastic, some units have gps (GMC-520, 520+), and i have a couple of questions :

-Is it possible to record and save the data automatically (time, place and value), eg once every 5 or 10 minutes?
-How precise is the gps, roughly? (10m? 100m?). Don't need to be super accurate, just "ok" (let's say, sub 100m)
-Can it be easily / automatically uploaded on a map? Offline / online? I've seen some kind of online map for the GQ hardware.
-If yes, can i have my "own" map or filter my own results?
-Can i exclude some data from what i upload? Eg one of the museum nearby have uranium glass on display, i'd go compare the reading of my CDV-700 with the new hardware i'd buy.

I'd be interesting to build a relatively accurate map of the area i live overtime, with as little manual interaction as possible (switch the thing on, start recording, upload when i come home). I don't think i'll find anything special, but... it's always good to keep an eye open!

Cheers.
Reply #1

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2019 :  09:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dennis 987,

1. Yes the 520/+ can record time, place, value at once but every 3 minutes on board.
2. It can be around 5-50 meters depending on the number of satellites detected.
3. It can automatically upload data online periodically (depends on your settings e.g 1,5,10mins,etc) IF you insert a sim card.
4. This one I'm not sure. This was being developed before but don't know if it's fully functional.
5. No, you can generate another geiger counter ID though to upload different data only so they won't be on the same history data.
Also you can turn off saving mode/automatic upload if you don't want to upload your data online.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

user06

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2019 :  07:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just noticed the 5x0 models, I'm guessing they've been released recently?

Apart from the O2 and TVCO or HCHO sensors in the 520/520+ models, are there any differences in operation between those and 510? The technical specs look the same. I've spent ages working on an easy way to synchronize radiation measurements with a separate GPS coordinates logging app, looks like 510 just solves my problem. :)

How's the battery life when using the GPS module?

Edited by - user06 on 06/20/2019 07:29:02
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2019 :  09:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot how long but I'm testing it right now with full battery.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  16:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It lasted about 1 and 1/2 days with gps and gprs turned on.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

GBG12

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  19:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can GC Maps display data captured along a trail? I think it is inherently a 'pin' map, one site per ID with a history table at that site. An example of a trail-based map is Safecast, e.g. www.safecast.org/tilemap/?y=39.7&x=-102.3&z=5&l=0&m=3. It shows trails of readings, each at a single point in time. I'm not aware of a way to map both spatial readings and temporal readings with one detector.

Edited by - GBG12 on 06/25/2019 19:55:47
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  09:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GBG12 we were working on something like that before, but it's still under development I think.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

Dennis987

2 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  10:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EmfDev

Hi Dennis 987,

1. Yes the 520/+ can record time, place, value at once but every 3 minutes on board.
2. It can be around 5-50 meters depending on the number of satellites detected.
3. It can automatically upload data online periodically (depends on your settings e.g 1,5,10mins,etc) IF you insert a sim card.
4. This one I'm not sure. This was being developed before but don't know if it's fully functional.
5. No, you can generate another geiger counter ID though to upload different data only so they won't be on the same history data.
Also you can turn off saving mode/automatic upload if you don't want to upload your data online.

Thanks! Look like it check what i'd like to have.

And what about the other ones with Wifi, would they be able to connect to my phone and report time / place / value (using the phone location)?

The GMC-520 and 600 have the same price, but the 600 seems to have a better tube so... i'd rather buy the 600 :)

Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  10:38:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can connect the 600 to your phone via hotspot but it can't record location online. You have to manually enter the location in the location menu then it will record it on board. You will see the location when you view your data via the software.
Another way is to create another geiger counter online to generate another Geiger Counter ID for different location (but you can use the same GMC 600 unit anyway) then you have to change the geiger counter ID on the device setting and it will start recording for that specific location you specified on the gmcmap.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000