Uranium ore safty
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n8xyn

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  09:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know in general uranium ore is safe to handle as long as I'm not ingesting it. I have a very small specimen that very hot. It's the size of my baby fingernail and reads about 1300 cpm on my GMC-500 +. Is there a point where the cpm and specimen size should be considered unsafe to handle?

Jim Whitaker
Reply #1

Distelzombie

Germany
202 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  15:24:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More like "unsafe to wear as a pendant for years." I don't really advice it, but you could probably just eat it whole and will never have any problems.
Uranium is so abundant that our body adapted to it and will get rid of it mostly. Even more so if it is a big piece.

Don't wear it as a nose-piercing (Radon gas), don't crush it and snort the powder (lung cancer), don't try to make yellowcake, don't rub your finger on it and see if it smells.
Really, you can't do much wrong. Store it in a tight transparent box and put it away in a showcase. So you can look at it and it is sufficiently safe.
If you get any more Uranium ore it would start to become necessary to store it in a different room than where you're living to hinder radon accumulation. And after that, when you're collecting more, store it in your garage.
But this tiny thing, I'd say, poses no real threat.
People still eat from plates that have more Uranium in their glaze than you have in your tiny, dense piece.

IF, and that is important, IT REALLY IS "JUST" URANIUM! I mean, if it is plutonium it is toxic. Chemically toxic and radioactive. But where would one get plutonium? (tell me!)

God, im Bad in making advice look professional instead of like a joke...
Anyone wants to add something?

GMC-300E+ V4.20 with sbt-11a alpha tube

My statements are "stuff-a-hobbyist-says" and not in any way professional.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

n8xyn

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2018 :  13:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol.... I personally like a humorous response, lightens things up.... thanks.

Jim Whitaker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000