Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Alarmingly high measurements

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
flytrap Posted - 02/21/2021 : 15:19:14
Today, my Geiger counter registered some alarmingly high measurements. How can I know if it is measuring accurately?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Damien68 Posted - 03/04/2021 : 00:46:04
Check that you don't have connected objects such as solar/wifi surveillance cameras or video interphone, baby monitor, wireless switches, and others....
It is also necessary to deactivate the Bluetooth on all your telephones and computers even if it is not used, because for example a PC under Windows when it is in operation broadcasts continually BLE advertisements every 100mS for strange purposes (unless its bluetooth has been desactivated). this represents 3 bursts of about 40 bytes 10 times per second (@2.45GHz @1Mb/s).
EmfDev Posted - 03/03/2021 : 17:18:10
Hi csaaphill, if outside is low RF, and other spot are low RF, there might be a source that is using RF where your readings are high. Try to find out where they are coming from. Try to completely power of the router and then check.
csaaphill Posted - 03/03/2021 : 16:22:02
Hi, new I have the GQ 390 v2 and inside the house, I can point to my head or almost anywhere in the house and get several spots that show high wifi phone, but when I go outside nothing or normal.
This is on the main setting when it shows all three. EF EMF and RF when I hit the RF it almost instantly starts to blink and the alarm sounds. I've seen it as high as well over 800mhz. I can put the setting on RF Browser and click it to digital, and the bytes go too well over 3 million bytes. but again nothing unless I point on the porch to the door then it will jump to over a million bytes.
I point it at neighbors hardly any reading so the signals aren't coming from them. We don't have wifi I have my router shut off for that and we use an ethernet connection to my and my wife's computers.
So not us. We don't even have cell phones so how is this? is the thing broken or am I being hit from a cell tower on purpose with lots of RF radiation? If so is there anything I can do to stop this?
Like, call the company that does the cell phone towers? Seems rather odd that we don't use wireless but yet in the house, I'm getting hit with a lot of wifi phone signal and tons and tons of Bytes. but yet I can point at neighbors outside and or around and not much so????
GBG12 Posted - 02/22/2021 : 18:15:13
In case it is reacting to something real and large, it should be compared to nearby detectors on this site or others, such as Netc.com, Radmon.org, uradmonitor.com, etc. as well as government detectors like the USA's EPA Radnet or the EU's EURDEP simple (Canadian government posts here).

In case it is reacting to something real and small, moving it should result in a change. A dark closet, a metal box, near and far from walls.

If the readings are not supported by another detector or other evidence, or if they don't change with movement, one should suspect a faulty detector.
WigglePig Posted - 02/22/2021 : 00:04:17
Which model is it?

When you say "alarmingly high" just how high do you mean?

First, make sure the Fast Estimate is set to 60 seconds, any shorter can often result in spurious high readings of CPM.

Also, make sure to leave the measurement running for as long as you can manage and then look at the CPS data...is it roughly consistent across time or is is very bursty?

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000