Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 What Kind of Geiger Counter Should I Buy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
TovinoThomas Posted - 04/06/2019 : 00:33:20
Allow me to begin by saying that Nuclear Science and, by extension, Nuclear Energy is my favorite thing in the entire universe. I have done a lot of studying and I really want it to be the energy of the future. I'm really excited to start doing research and experiments of my own. With that said, I think, personally, that the best place to start would be to get a Geiger counter. However, I'm not sure what kind to go for. I think that the best one to go for would be a versatile Geiger counter that is fairly sensitive to lower-energy radiation as well as higher-energy radiation. After doing some searching, it seems that cheaper ones aren't very sensitive and to get a decent one, there is a price spike from $30-$40 to $100-$300. My current budget is $60, but I would be willing to save for a really nice one. If anyone on this sub could help, it would be greatly appreciated.[https://discord.software/ https://fetlife.vip/ https://downloader.vip/itunes/
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stargazer 40 Posted - 05/13/2020 : 18:56:14
You might also consider the 600. Although more expensive, it does allow alpha detection and broadens the usefulness of the meter substantially. A better all around meter using a pretty classic Russian pancake GM tube.
Damien68 Posted - 05/10/2020 : 21:34:42
Hi TovinoThomas,
if it's your first meter, a 300E is perfect.
After studying the theory of radioactivity, it allows you to experiment and see what is happening in reality for example by making measurements indoors and outdoors which can highlight the presence of potassium for example in materials building construction.

the 600+ is more sensitive and can detect alpha radiation, this is more useful or even essential for testing food in the event of risk of contamination because once ingested, alpha radiation emitters are the most toxic to the body due to the high energy level of his particles radiation.

without ingestion, because alpha rays (helium nuclei) do not go very far (3-4cm), alpha emitters are not very dangerous (except radon which can be breathed).

but the device itself (600+) is more expensive and more delicate. I did not buy it. I really think you will be more comfortable with a 300E for stress-free experiments.

320+ have more memory for more longer recording than 300E but 10$ more expensive.
EmfDev Posted - 04/08/2019 : 08:32:48
Hi TovinoThomas, the closest one from our products to your budget is GMC-300+ it has the same tube as GMC-320 (can't detect alpha) and has a background CPM of 10-30 in Seattle. If you want a more sensitive one, I'd say get the 600+ (can also detect alpha) but it's a lot more expensive.

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.12 sec. Snitz Forums 2000