Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Geiger counters in airplanes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
EndreasAndu651 Posted - 07/09/2022 : 03:38:20
This is a stupid question but are geiger counters safe on airplanes? I'm asking because i heard that geiger mullers might rupture due to the pressure diffrence, but i am not sure so i decided to ask here.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mimichris Posted - 01/05/2023 : 01:13:54
In fact, in a normal airliner, the real altitude in the cabin is around 2000m, therefore at the corresponding atmospheric pressure. A GMC-500 fears nothing, you can go to the mountains without problem.
ullix Posted - 01/04/2023 : 01:19:09
quote:
By connecting a counter to a computer that is running GeigerLog and performing the updating of the Radiation World map from within GeigerLog, it is possible to circumvent the problems that have been described.
Looks like you are in the wrong topic; this is about Geigers in air planes.

And please, be precise: what problems have been described by whom and where?
GBG12 Posted - 08/05/2022 : 19:51:23
It's best to carry Alpha capable tubes with carry-on luggage, in case the checked baggage compartment is not pressurized.
the_mike Posted - 07/22/2022 : 15:37:44
I've carried both my GMC320+ and GMC500 on an airtrip - nothing happened to them...
ullix Posted - 07/13/2022 : 02:48:17
It is highly unlikely that a Geiger-Müller tube - be it made from glass or metal - will rupture at high altitude. Air planes at cruising altitude may have a slightly lower pressure than at ground level, but since the Geiger tubes tend to have lower pressure inside, the force on them would actually be greater at ground level!

The situation is different when using an Alpha-Particle sensitive detector, because they have a very thin membrane as window to allow Alpha to penetrate. But it probably would need a severe and quick pressure change - such as when oxygen masks fall out of the airplane headroom - to break the membrane. But even then chances are good that the membrane lasts.

Here is an amazing video of someone torturing such a membrane; finally succeeding in breaking it, but it sure takes some effort:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqmi3H0sXWY

EmfDev Posted - 07/11/2022 : 10:45:03
So far we never encountered tubes rupturing/breaking due to air pressure when transporting. We usually ship international shipping via air.

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.05 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000