Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 What limit is proper?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
svann Posted - 04/09/2021 : 08:52:18
Ive had my GMC-320 for a couple years running 24/7, and just this morning the beeper started going off for the first time. I checked it and the level was up to 0.75uSV/hr. Alarm was set to 0.5uSV/hr. Not sure if I should be concerned.

It seems to me the alarm was set too low but I may be wrong on the federal allowed limit or my conversion.
I looked up the radiation limit and found
https://news.mit.edu/1994/safe-0105
which says occupational safety limit is 5000mRem/yr above the 300mRem natural radiation. I convert 5300mRem/yr to 6.05uSV/hr, which is about 12x what the alarm was set to, and if correct then I still have plenty of headroom.

Should I change the alarm setting or should I go searching for where the radiation might be sourcing from?

edit: a few hours later the measure has dropped back down to 0.19uSV/hr, which I think is what Im used to seeing. No idea what had made it higher - sunspots? My original question still stands though. Is 0.5uSV/hr the correct alarm limit or should it be raised to 6uSV/hr? This is at home.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Breizh Posted - 06/07/2021 : 07:48:30
The measurement may not exceed 0.12µSv / h otherwise we exceed the calculated dose of 1 mSV / year / inhabitant, which is the French but not legal standard!
Breizh
Damien68 Posted - 04/10/2021 : 23:06:46
Hi svann
going from 0.2uSV/h in average to 0.5-0.7 for many hours, it is suspicious, in the counter there is a history of the measurements made, you can trace them using either the dataviewer software from GQ or the geigerlog software from ullix, it will allow you to better see what happened.
svann Posted - 04/10/2021 : 20:44:47
Thanks for the answer about the default trigger setting.
I still think this was not just noise fluctuation though. Its now pretty much always down about 0.20 or just under that and I think in the past its been about that, but for a few hours it was up around 0.75. Thats quite a difference. I think something was going on in the area that caused a temporary rise in radiation. Not high enough to be bad, but higher than normal for the area.
EmfDev Posted - 04/09/2021 : 11:45:31
The svann, the low alarm threshold is to let you know there might be a radiation slightly higher than background. If you are not worried about low radiation you can set it to higher. Low alarm can let you know if you are bringing something new with radiation.

The trigger may have been just a noise and not a real radiation.

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.03 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000