Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 3. GQ EMF EF Meter RF Spectrum Power Analyzer
 Questions on consideration to purchase

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tigersoul Posted - 10/02/2020 : 04:54:57
Hi folks,

I've read quite a few reviews and watched a number of videos of the emf-390 meter. What I seem to be making out is that frequency coverage is pretty ok (won't drop off at like 3ghz like the tf2) and the pulse detection is pretty ok.

What I also read and saw in a few videos was however that the magnetic field detection seems to never go lower than 0,5-0,7mg, that is zero and it cannot thus detect anything lower than that. Is this an unlucky device or something that everybody is experiencing? To some part this seems to be the case in a similar way with the E field detection?

I've also read numerous complains about accuracy being total s... compared to similar meters and that there are a lot of faulty meters sent out, but it's hard to make out what is what.

Right now I'm using a cheap china meter for E/H field and it is alright I guess apart from being 1-axis on the magnetic sensor. I'm looking for something more sensitive while adding usable RF detection. Is the EMF-390 what I'm looking for or would I need to spend a lot more to actually get a proper upgrade? With proper upgrade, I'm referring primarily to sensitivity and accuracy, not so much graphs and functions, although they look nice.

Some opinions of actual users would be great, especially so from folks that have tried other meters and have a fair idea how they compare.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rfrazier Posted - 10/20/2020 : 17:39:03
Hi Tigersoul, This is a GQ Electronics forum. I doubt they're going to not recommend their own product. I am in training to become a professional EMF hunter. I own the GQ-EMF-390 as well as a Cornet ED-88TPlus consumer meter which are in a similar price range. I also own a professional meter for RF and a professional meter for ELF magnetic fields. Those professional meters are about $ 400 each, and you can spend much more from there. The consumer meters are around $ 200. I have written several extensive forum posts about how EMF measurements are done and interpreted, as well as a very detailed post on using the GQ EMF-390, linked below.

It's all about your expectations. There are huge variances in how RF (radio frequency) and ELF (extra low frequency magnetic fields) are measured and quantified to read on a meter. The EMF-390 is a consumer meter, and if you have consumer expectations, it can be a good instrument. I haven't really found anything I trust to measure EF (electric fields) as those are highly variable.

Frankly, cheap Chinese meters aren't very useful for actual numbers. You just cannot build a quality instrument for $ 5 and sell it for $ 30. I consider the $ 200 retail range to be where you're starting to get some quality. I would consider the TF2, EMF-390, and ED-88TPlus to be in that realm.

I have not extensively tested the EMF-390 for magnetic fields. I do like the fact that it has a 3-axis sensor for magnetic fields. I have compared the EMF-390 and the Cornet ED-88TPlus to my professional RF meter. I find that they both usually read lower than the professional meter. If you want a really good entry level professional RF meter, look at the Safe and Sound Pro II. As I said, about $ 400.

I'm glad I own the EMF-390 and believe it's useful for certain things. I do not primarily rely on it for exact numbers to compare to exposure charts. I look toward my pro tools for that. I do think the EMF-390 is very good at detecting medium to strong signals, and it is very good at visualizing those signals, with the big screen. That particularly applies to RF, with the RF Browser screen.

Please see this post and the posts linked in there for more info. My posts are under the name rfrazier.

How to sweet talk your GQ EMF-390

https://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8856

Hope it helps.

Ron
tigersoul Posted - 10/08/2020 : 11:09:49
Sure was slow around here ;)

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000