Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Detection of soil surface contamination

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ChrisP Posted - 09/12/2019 : 13:13:50
Hello everyone,

we have areas here in austria that are contaminated up to 80kBq per square meter with CS 137 as a result of the chernobyl accident 1986 (in 1986 there were up to 160kBq/m2 in some spots...).

is it possible to dectect radiation at these spots with one of the GQ GMCs or is the level to low to get a significant CPM reading above backgroud ?

Greetings
Christian
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stargazer 40 Posted - 09/20/2019 : 06:47:15
One of the best things about this forum is the ideas that spring forth. Creative bunch. Thanks 'little Johnny'.
Geo-Johnny Posted - 09/20/2019 : 06:10:12
Oh my god, little Johnny from overseas had the idea with the GMC on a selfiestick and now the Americans are running it through the Grand Canyon in search of traces of Sievert and Roentgen.
Stargazer 40 Posted - 09/19/2019 : 16:18:05
Here's my new selfie stick attached to the 500+. Took adding a little Gorilla Tape to the sides so the spring loaded clasper wouldn't slide off. Very nice and about $15 on Amazon.

Image Insert:

134973 bytes

Image Insert:

135361 bytes

Image Insert:

133286 bytes
Geo-Johnny Posted - 09/13/2019 : 11:49:00
@ChrisP

I am in Vienna too. Just look at the gmc world map near zentralfriedhof.

Edit: You are in Penzing, right?
ChrisP Posted - 09/13/2019 : 10:42:45
Thanks for your thoughts ! I‘ll give it a try with my seflie stick, The gmc-500 fits very well with the holder of the stick- Great solution:)
@geo-johnny im located in Vienna. just corrected my nick in gmcmaps.. where are you from?

Greetings
Geo-Johnny Posted - 09/13/2019 : 08:45:26
@ChrisP
You are from STMK/Deutschlandsberg/Fabrikstrasse?
Geo-Johnny Posted - 09/13/2019 : 06:48:45
quote:
Originally posted by Stargazer 40

GMC closer to ground, perhaps on the end of a wand (like a metal detector) might give good results. Just a thought.

Right, the best and easiest way to feel the ground is to operate the GMC on a Selfiestick for Smartphones. With the screen in large font, it is a very cheap and efficient solution to get good results. The most important thing is to use the GMC500+ in landscape mode with buttons on the right and the M4011 counter tube on the bottom.
Stargazer 40 Posted - 09/13/2019 : 04:02:15
80k Bq is around 2 uCi. That is coming from square meter. Testing I've done with 5 and 10 uCi point sources wouldn't really apply as they are such small amounts of material that falloff is rapid with distance. With a more even areal source I would think you'd see an increase in counts. GMC closer to ground, perhaps on the end of a wand (like a metal detector) might give good results. Just a thought.
ChrisP Posted - 09/12/2019 : 23:12:20
Of course it can be detected using lab equipment. Authorities check the soil regularly in the affected areas. I'm just curious if it can be detected using my GMC-500+
ullix Posted - 09/12/2019 : 22:31:14
If you can't detect it - why call it "contamination"?
EmfDev Posted - 09/12/2019 : 15:20:11
It can be detected. But if it's too low, you need to use 'Timed Count' to compare with normal background.

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.05 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000