Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 GMC 500+ in Chernobyl

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
user06 Posted - 05/05/2019 : 06:00:13
Some time ago I posted my thoughts on the GMC 500+ counter here:

https://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5483

I thought some of you might be interested to see it in action, I finally found some time to put together a video, you can see me measuring some radioactive graphite from the nuclear reactor core towards the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3jhXeCzSpQ
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Damien68 Posted - 08/24/2019 : 08:30:29
Very nice video, congratulations for that
hope there will be no other chernobile
it's amazing and a really shame at once, but the most incredible thing is that it's true
Thanks for this reportage
EmfDev Posted - 05/23/2019 : 09:47:51
Yes we used C137 to test and calibrate the counters.
You can also see here from Stargazer_40 comparing/calibrating the GQ counters along with Mazur 9000.

As for the import taxes and cost, you can email support let them know you're the one who posted the video and see if they can do anything for you.

Also do you mean 4.25 Million CPM?
user06 Posted - 05/22/2019 : 12:57:37
Fair point, alpha is quite weak, time to start saving up. I'd be more than happy to give it a good field test and feature in my videos, however unfortunately I live in the UK, so unless there's an authorized dealer I don't think I could work out a discount. Import taxes and fees would double the price anyway.

I presume that GQ meters are calibrated for C137 isotope? It won't be 100% accurate measuring other sources but still a good for comparing the results with other meters calibrated for Caesium.

I'm also interested what happens when you exceed the range. I've seen my cheapest yellow Terra displayng 18mSv/h where the black one (theoretical range 10mSv/h) displayed an error. Does GMC600+ show anything, even with less accuracy, above 4.25m or stops responding?

EmfDev Posted - 05/21/2019 : 09:28:40
You can just a plastic bag similar to that you used in the video. Alpha particles won't be able to penetrate the plastic.
It's hard to only measure gamma, you need to block filter out the beta with aluminum (not sure how thick).
user06 Posted - 05/21/2019 : 08:23:26
quote:
Originally posted by EmfDev

300/320 doesn't have these features.
If fast estimate is set for 5 seconds, it will multiply the detected CPM within the last 5 second by 12 to get an estimate for 60 seconds. It can be set to 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 seconds.

Thanks, that sounds like a great feature, again I'm really impressed with the fact that the GQ listens to customer feedback.

Model 600 is tempting for the Alpha measurements, but is there any way to block that and measure only Beta + Gamma or even only Gamma when needed?
EmfDev Posted - 05/13/2019 : 09:46:57
300/320 doesn't have these features.
If fast estimate is set for 5 seconds, it will multiply the detected CPM within the last 5 second by 12 to get an estimate for 60 seconds. It can be set to 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 seconds.
i80386 Posted - 05/13/2019 : 09:37:04
Hi, EmfDev, how exactly fast estimate function work. On simulation software for 500/500+ this function in not present. Is it possible for 300/320 device owners to get it with new firmware?
the_mike Posted - 05/09/2019 : 16:26:40
@user06

Since you explore Tschernobyl - you should consider getting a counter that also measures alpha-radiation, too...
Btw an intersting and scary video :)
EmfDev Posted - 05/08/2019 : 10:37:17
Thanks! You can also ask support for firmware updates. With the fast estimate time, and dead time, you might get 2000000 CPM readings!
user06 Posted - 05/08/2019 : 09:45:23
quote:

The 320+ won't be good enough for you because its maximum CPM is only 65k. And it doesn't have fast estimate feature.
But the 500/+ and 600/+ now have fast estimate feature for 5,10,15,20, and 30 seconds estimate.

You should email support. I'm pretty sure you will get a good deal :).

Wait, they actually listen to customer feedback and implement those changes in firmware? Hats off to GQ engineers! :)

For a longer "trip" I'll stick with Terra due to its battery life measured in years, but for my videos and more accurate measurements those models would now be ideal.
EmfDev Posted - 05/08/2019 : 09:40:03
The 320+ won't be good enough for you because its maximum CPM is only 65k. And it doesn't have fast estimate feature.
But the 500/+ and 600/+ now have fast estimate feature for 5,10,15,20, and 30 seconds estimate.

You should email support. I'm pretty sure you will get a good deal :).
user06 Posted - 05/08/2019 : 07:43:21
quote:

High dose of radiation!! That's too dangerous. Will share the video if you don't mind :).

Hence my complain about the lack of quick extrapolated result in my comments thread, having something like a 15s measurement multiplied by 4 instead of full minute count would certainly help in those situations. :)

Feel free to share it, I'd be honoured. Sadly I lost my counter back in the hotel on the second trip, the staff claim they never found it, it must have fell out of my bag when I was packing. :(

I'm considering a replacement, ideally one with this quick count feature if it's available in any of your counters? If not, I' might grab the 320+, it seems good enough and easy to carry around in a pocket.

ZLM Posted - 05/08/2019 : 07:25:06
You can joint GQ Affiliate program, and put a GMC-500+ link in your description, then every sale you will get 10% commission.
EmfDev Posted - 05/07/2019 : 15:10:53
High dose of radiation!! That's too dangerous. Will share the video if you don't mind :).
user06 Posted - 05/07/2019 : 05:36:27
quote:

Wow that's really cool! it felt like I was watching a movie :D Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. I gave myself a solid X-Ray in there to measure the samples accurately.
EmfDev Posted - 05/06/2019 : 08:27:02
Wow that's really cool! it felt like I was watching a movie :D Thanks for sharing!!

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000