Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 3. GQ EMF EF Meter RF Spectrum Power Analyzer
 Minimum readings

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
francois Posted - 01/23/2019 : 15:00:02
What do you guys all see as minimum readings in your home? (AllInOne screen)

For me it is the following:

- EF: 0.0 V/m (only during the day when lights are off)
- EMF: 0.1 mG
- RF: 3 to 4 mW/m^2 . I never could measure below this, even by bringing the meter with me into various other places.
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LeeE Posted - 02/18/2019 : 06:58:03
Sorry Brian I have only just read your message - I have the 380V2.

I'm not sure what the firmware upgrade did but the RF Browser mode seems less sensitive now but it could just be my imagination! I would be interested in your experience after the firmware upgrade if it is suitable for the 390 model. Perhaps the developers can comment?

I've also noticed that in RF Vertical mode the total .24-8GHz reading often shows zero when the reading for the dominant band is not zero. I don't understand how this can be possible and would also like to know the reason for this?
EmfDev Posted - 02/13/2019 : 10:30:20
I think he has EMF-380. You can try to email customer support to check for new firmware.
brianwoodward Posted - 02/12/2019 : 18:43:40
Hi LeeF, Sorry I miss spelt your name last time!! Do you have a 380 or 390? I have a new 390.
brianwoodward Posted - 02/12/2019 : 18:35:12
Hi Leaf, please can you explain what you mean when you say the new firmware has resolved your issue? Do you still get 4mW/M2 in allinone mode? This is what happens with my meter. Should I get the firmware update?
LeeE Posted - 02/06/2019 : 12:16:09
Thanks for the new Firmware - seems to have resolved my issue.
EmfDev Posted - 02/06/2019 : 10:45:08
That's correct.
LeeE Posted - 02/05/2019 : 16:25:48
Thanks for the quick reply and the info re the RF Browser range - I assume for the 380V2 the range will be 1Mhz to 8Ghz.

I'm really keen to test the new firmware. I have requested it via email to support@gqelectronicsllc.com. Hopefully I will receive it soon.

EmfDev Posted - 02/05/2019 : 15:19:49
The RF browser frequency is basically 1MHz to 10GHz for EMF-390. The update was for handling the noise in AllInOne mode rf reading.
LeeE Posted - 02/05/2019 : 11:36:30
I did put the cell phone in the cage and it would not receive calls which is why I said the cage "prevents signals to a cell phone".

I have also wrapped the meter in aluminium foil AND put it inside the cage and am still reading 4mW/m2.

My meter at least seems to read 4mW/m2 as a minimum even when RF emissions are effectively 0mW/m2. You explained this as "noise" from the "chips" in a previous thread. This makes the Allinone/Vertical modes unusable for me, which is a shame because the Allinone mode is a really nice feature.

For this reason I have been relying on the RF Browser but am still uncertain what is NOT included in that mode. Rather than talk about "spectrum" could you state exactly what frequencies are and are not included in RF Browser mode please?

I have requested the firmware update which "improves RF reading" - can you tell me what those improvements are please?
EmfDev Posted - 02/05/2019 : 09:59:59
Hi LeeE, the 4mW/M2 is from the RF spectrum band. If you don't want to read it, use the RF Browser.

Also have you tried putting your cellphone in the cage and try to call it? if you can call it it means that there are still RF signals.
LeeE Posted - 02/04/2019 : 11:56:13
Also reads around 4mW/M2 when in a wire cage - a cage that prevents signals to a cell phone - is my meter faulty?
LeeE Posted - 02/03/2019 : 16:11:48
My meter has a minimum reading of around 4mW/M2 even when wrapped in Aluminum foil - why would that be?
EmfDev Posted - 01/31/2019 : 16:41:50
@francois, We added those bands because they are more sensitive than 10GHz sensor and the 10GHz general RF doesn't tell you what specific frequency it detected. We don't have 1040-2200MHz because of the price. If there is 4g, there should be 2g. And 2g lives in the 600-800MHz and the 240-1040MHz band should be able to pick it up and you'll see what exact frequency it lies.

@LeeE, depends if it's strong enough and it can be blocked. The 240-1040MHz might be able to pick up signals from the tower.
francois Posted - 01/31/2019 : 16:41:11
@LeeE Thanks for the tip. I'm at 185 m! I can tell you, you will measure "something" with the EMF-390. Still waiting for answers to understand exactly what it is I am measuring here...
LeeE Posted - 01/31/2019 : 15:27:09
@francois - I used google earth to measure the distance. Btw I am finding your questions very helpful :)

@EmfDev - thanks for the reply. You say 190m "seems to be really far" but if the strength of the RF emission from the tower at 190m distance is above .001 mW/m2 won't the RF Browser detect it? I am also very interested in the answer to @francois' question re the Allinonemode.
francois Posted - 01/31/2019 : 11:24:15
@EmfDev so For AllInOne, as "Spectrum" includes everything from 100 MHz to 10 GHz, why do you need to **add** the 240 MHz and 2.4 GHz bands which are **already** covered by the "general spectrum" sensor?

@LeeE 190m is *close* indeed. I am in the same kind of situation (the cell tower being already there) although I don't know how to precisely measure the distance from tower to me. Make photos of your readings inside and outside the house now. If they don't differ now, they will differ when the tower goes live.

The bug problem with the Spectrum mode is that it will not show you anything from the range 1040 to 2200 MHz, which is basically where 4G lives AFAIK. This is one reason I'm trying to understand what the AllInOne mode really measures and how accurate it is. Right now my understanding is that it is doubling up mesures from the 240 Mhz and 2.4 GHz bands... :/
EmfDev Posted - 01/30/2019 : 15:45:30
Yes the RF browser will be able to detect it as long as you're in range but 190 meters seems to be really far.
The Spectrum mode is more sensitive so it may pick up the cell tower signal using the 240MHz - 1040Mhz band (880MHz is within this range). So the reading in the AllInOne may also increase because it includes the 240MHz - 1040MHz band.
You can take a picture of the 240MHz-1040MHz band now and compare it later on after the tower is built to see if there's going to be any difference.
LeeE Posted - 01/30/2019 : 15:11:07
Thanks for the reply but I am still confused:-(

Plans have been approved for a new cell tower 190m from my home. It will transmit on a range of frequencies from 800Mhz to 2.2Ghz. At present when I use "RF Browser" mode with the meter facing the proposed mast site it reads 0mW/M2. When the mast is installed will "RF Browser" detect any RF Emission increases for the 800Mhz to 2.2Ghz range?

If I use Allinone mode I'm concerned that any increase of RF transmissions will be drowned out by the "noise" you have referred to.

Thanks

EmfDev Posted - 01/30/2019 : 12:14:45
@francois, The general RF starts at around 10-100MHz.

@LeeE Spectrum here means in spectrum mode or specific band like 2.4GHz - 2.5GHz. It is best used when you want to monitor specific frequencies like WiFi/Bluetooth/microwave/etc(those have a frequency of 2.4GHz) then you can determine the specific frequencies of these signals. And you want to use General RF if you are just trying to detect any wireless device that transmits RF like a walkie-talkie or a remote or any. Even if you don't know which frequency it is transmitting.
LeeE Posted - 01/29/2019 : 14:35:54
I am also finding this very confusing.

Most of the time at home I get an RF reading of around 4mW/m2 from Allinone mode but when I switch to RF Browser it shows 0mW/m2. Previously it was stated that this was because the "RF browser is for real time and needs very fast response so it doesn't include the spectrum"

Could you explain what you mean by "spectrum" in this context please? How does "spectrum" differ from "General RF". When would it be best to use RF Browser rather than Allinone mode?

francois Posted - 01/28/2019 : 17:58:56
Thanks for clarifying 3 & 4.

However, the AllInOne/Vertical is still unclear. Now you say "2.4GHz band" + "240MHz band" + "general RF up to 10GHz" ?

So it is 3 bands now? At which frequency does "general RF up to 10GHz" start?
EmfDev Posted - 01/28/2019 : 16:46:33
1. AllInOne - 2.4GHz band, 240MHz band, general RF up to 10GHz.'
2. Vertical - Same as AllInOne.
3. Table Mode - 2.4GHz and 240MHz
4. RF Browser, general RF up to 10GHz. (This is is for faster response time)
5. yes.
francois Posted - 01/28/2019 : 11:45:57
OK, sorry I mistyped but this is still unclear. Can you please give a definitive answer on which bands each of the modes use?

- AllInOne use these RF bands:
- Vertical uses these RF bands:
- Table mode displays highest found in these RF bands:
- RF Browser uses these RF bands:
- RF Spectrum allows to select 1 of the 6 bands (that one is clear)
EmfDev Posted - 01/28/2019 : 10:02:01
Nope, if you check the RF Spectrum mode, there are 6 bands there, the AllInOne doesn't include the other 4.
AllInOne RF mode is same in Vertical mode. Table RF is using the Spectrum's highest detected frequencies.
francois Posted - 01/28/2019 : 06:36:46
Ok, so AllinOne mode uses all 6 bands and RF Browser uses 2 bands (2.4 GHz and 240 MHz).

What bands do the Vertical mode and the Table mode use?

Thanks.
EmfDev Posted - 01/25/2019 : 16:54:25
Spectrum means the full range of frequencies of EMF. But in this case I was referring to the RF Spectrum mode of the EMF detector.
the 3-4mW/m2 includes the values from the 2.4GHz band and 240MHz band.
francois Posted - 01/25/2019 : 15:58:04
What does "spectrum" mean? Is it a specific frequency range?
EmfDev Posted - 01/23/2019 : 16:31:19
Hi francois, the 3 to 4 mW/m2 is from the spectrum, and some of them are noise. If you don't want to see those noise/spectrum readings, just use RF browser for general RF reading. Here, you don't see the reading from the spectrum.

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.07 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000