Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Battery draining/charging problem 320+

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zeffer Posted - 07/10/2016 : 05:07:29
I have been given the option to send this to the US for a service, but I am hoping there is a simple fix as I live in the UK.

My unit bought in May was fine until last week. The battery drained suddenly and wouldn't take a charge. (First charge out of the box in May was fine).

I was told to check the contacts and I did. It seemed to be charging, but said 98% when plugged in despite the unit saying low battery when it was turned on.

As soon as unplugged no charge at all. Unit wouldn't turn on.

I tried a new rechargeable battery which worked out of the packet, seemed to charge, was working I thought. When left in the unit today for three hours turned off, is now saying low charge again and flashing at me.

Any ideas before I give in and am forced to pay the postage to America?

Thank you!
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
EmfDev Posted - 07/16/2021 : 12:56:43
Email sent.
gregorr Posted - 07/16/2021 : 11:24:57
Hi,

It is USB-SERIAL CH340.
EmfDev Posted - 07/16/2021 : 10:38:23
When connecting to the computer, can you check or get a screencopy of the device manager if there is unknown device or USB-Serial CH340 under Ports?
gregorr Posted - 07/15/2021 : 23:20:03
Hi. It doesn't show nothing in any conditions. Of course I didn't write down the serial # when it was still working.
EmfDev Posted - 07/15/2021 : 10:25:39
Hi gregorr, to get a firmware update the serial number is needed. And to get serial number the device must be working. There might be some power connection issues. Does it do anything when plugged to a USB?
gregorr Posted - 07/15/2021 : 03:34:25
Hi,

Sorry for refreshing the old sub, but my unit ( 320+ V4 ) is totally dead. Does not react on anything. Battery is fine. Probably STM chip is gone. What can I do in this case? Sending the device back to manufacturer cost probably will exceed value of itself. Is it possible to receive hex to replace the chip locally and flash it?
ZLM Posted - 10/08/2016 : 12:57:26
gregorr, the strange readings about battery charging may occur if the battery initial charging voltage is very low (<2.5V). But the reading will go back to normal as long as the battery voltage goes up after a charging while.

My experience told me the main problem came from the C2. Not the speaker.

S0N1C Posted - 10/08/2016 : 01:38:33
quote:
Originally posted by ZLM

But it is 0603 SMD capacitor and looks like this:

thanks for clarification, was thinking about electrolytic near speaker :)
gregorr Posted - 10/07/2016 : 12:39:59
Thx ZLM,

I have 320+V4. Situation in my case developed a lil bit since last post. It seems that problem is related to the buzzer, because ultra fast discharge stopped after muting it. But then I've turned it on, then it drained battery instantly and device turned off. So I plugged it for charging, unmute the buzzer and I've hired a loud hiss coming out from buzzer.
Then I've turned buzzer on, but it started to hiss when it went to power saving mode.
After few minutes it just stopped.
I have necessary skills to replace this one, but I loose the guarantee for sure. On the other hand sending it back from Europe, waiting for service and delivery again. I don't even want to think about.
I had some strange readings about battery charging, but I assume it is related to buzzer coupling capacitor problem.
I need to sleep with this thoughts.

BR
Greg
ZLM Posted - 10/07/2016 : 09:55:49
The C number is different from different board versions. Example C2

But it is 0603 SMD capacitor and looks like this:

Image Insert:

194886 bytes

It is the audio coupling capacitor and it only affects the volume of the speaker with different capacity.
gregorr Posted - 10/07/2016 : 02:48:11
Hi ZLM,

Can you tell which exactly capacitor you are talking about? The C number?
I am experiencing the same problem - super fast discharge during off state.

BR
Greg

quote:
Originally posted by ZLM

It is the capacitor. 1uF capacitor near transistor. If that capacitor leaks, then the speaker will leak the current silently. Sometimes the speaker feels hot.

You can replace that capacitor by 0.47uf to 4.7uf one.

S0N1C Posted - 09/30/2016 : 10:53:11
mine marked as 100 16V VT, I'm trying to measure them in circuit but getting confusing results

soldered out, it's 100 uF

last fix still working :)
ZLM Posted - 09/29/2016 : 19:33:09
It is the capacitor. 1uF capacitor near transistor. If that capacitor leaks, then the speaker will leak the current silently. Sometimes the speaker feels hot.

You can replace that capacitor by 0.47uf to 4.7uf one.
S0N1C Posted - 09/26/2016 : 11:42:14
so it worked for about a day :( after connecting counter to PC it began whining again, I think mosfet near speaker died. So I changed mosfet and resistor, it works again, for how long not sure

www.imgur.com/a/9jMT3
S0N1C Posted - 09/20/2016 : 13:31:51
Ok, changed resistor near speaker(220kOhm -> 330kOhm), now works. Also no whine when speaker is turned off.

www.imgur.com/a/YFBWU
S0N1C Posted - 09/20/2016 : 11:22:03
Same problem with mine, worked fine firstly then I noticed it was dead, removed and charged/tested battery, it's fine, 864 mAh and holding charge, but gmc-320+ draining it fast, in turned off state I measured about 140-180 mA current draw(30-35mA when turned on!), Factory Reset didn't help.
Zeffer Posted - 07/11/2016 : 08:15:17
Well I have asked for shipping details. Hopefully nobody else gets this problem.
Zeffer Posted - 07/10/2016 : 06:42:13
Update 2: at low battery again after 3 hours.

I might now try leaving it switched on. It may use less power!
Zeffer Posted - 07/10/2016 : 05:25:06
Update. New battery now at 80% with unit turned off for one hour.

I can hear a very faint hissing noise when it's switched off.

Any ideas?

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000