Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Open Sourcing the operating system?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Slyke Posted - 09/06/2019 : 20:17:45
Hello,

This is probably a question for the devs that work on the geiger counter themselves, but I was wondering if the firmware would ever be open sourced? Or if an open source version is available?

The GQ Geiger counter is great for such a small device, with the Geiger counter, temp and air sensors and that. This is especially true for the 5xx+ series. The only issue that has stopped me from buying one is the software running on it. While it is okay, it doesn't save data too well. For example the temperature and humidity etc is only sent via wifi or cell, it is not saved on the device and is lost if not immediately uploaded. Where's only the latest Geiger data will be uploaded (the rest sits in storage). The device only supports http, where's most web services now days are https only. I also find inputting details cumbersome (in the emulator anyway) with it clearing any saved input if you open the screen. I'm not sure why it's programmed this way, it might be legacy, memory size or stability issues.

I have done lots of researching over the last month for better hardware and the only thing I could find that's close is the bGeigie. It's more expensive, larger, has less sensors, and requires manual construction, but it does support custom firmware. I was considering to buy a GMC-520-Plus anyway and see how far I could get, seeing how other people on this forum have already modded the hardware on theirs.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Slyke Posted - 09/09/2019 : 18:21:30
Ohhh, it must just be the emulator version that doesn't save it then!
EmfDev Posted - 09/09/2019 : 10:05:21
Hi Slyke,

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, the firmware will never be open sourced. You're right on all things except when trying to input something. It will display the previously saved parameters.

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.05 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000