GMC 600+ and UV radiation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EndreasAndu651

Estonia
6 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2022 :  06:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it safe to expose the geiger muller to the sun? In the gmc 600+ manual there said that you can't expose it to the sun, but i wondered was it because of the UV? Does it destroy the mica layer? Can it detect the UV radiation? by the way, i know the audio port of the geiger counter isn't meant for headphones but can you use headphones on it still?

Andreas

Edited by - EndreasAndu651 on 09/30/2022 08:51:24
Reply #1

ullix

Germany
1112 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2022 :  01:54:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Does it destroy the mica layer?

Probably not. The GMC-600+ uses a LND 7317 tube https://www.lndinc.com/products/geiger-mueller-tubes/7317/. This consists of a metal case, holding a Mica window on the other side.

I assume the metal to not be UV sensitive. Mica material is used for many things, including in outdoor-paint and in cosmetics for sunlight protection. So, it would be surprising if it were destroyed by UV light.

However, I think it is a good question to ask the manufacturer: https://www.lndinc.com/contact/

Audio:
I am using the counter's audio clicks as input to my computers when I use the counter as AudioCounter. See chapter "AudioCounter Devices" in the GeigerLog manual. Never did any harm.

Edited by - ullix on 10/01/2022 01:58:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.07 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000