GMC-500+ - Won't connect to WiFi anymore
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hugo

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2022 :  07:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As of today my GMC-500+ refuses to connect to my WiFi and I'm at a loss as to why. I've tried to connect to either of local access point or main router with equal lack of success. Using the AT+CWLAP command via the GMC DataViewer terminal I can see my WiFi networks - but no luck connecting. Sometimes I get the message 'WiFi Module Error' and sometimes I just get 'Failed' message.

I've reset the WiFi module and even factory reset the GMC 500+ - I've spent hours on this now with no success - please help!
Reply #1

EmfDev

2132 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2022 :  09:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hugo, if WiFi Module Error, you need to restart the device by powering off completely.

If Failed, check if the parameters are correct, mainly SSID and password. They are case sensitive.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

Hugo

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2022 :  11:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for response. All the parameters are correct and haven't changed from when it was connecting. I've used AT commands and have got the WiFi module to establish a connection but when using the WiFi on/off menu the GMC500+ it simply won't connect. The commands I used direct to the module were:

- AT+CWQAP (make sure disconnected)
- AT+CWJAP_DEF ="BT-JRA5XH","<password>" (connect)
- AT+CIPSTA_CUR? (to get IP address)

Edited by - Hugo on 03/28/2022 12:54:22
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

Hugo

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2022 :  12:07:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When using the terminal I quite often see some 'noise' characters (see image), I don't know if that indicates a more general problem with the device or it is nothing to be concerned about?

Edited by - Hugo on 03/28/2022 12:10:05
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

EmfDev

2132 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2022 :  15:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That may be the reason why it fails when using the Connect WiFi on the device. But can you try more times until it is connected? Also before trying, can you send this AT+CWMODE=3 if it doesn't work, try AT+CWMODE=1
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

Hugo

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2022 :  01:01:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EmfDev

That may be the reason why it fails when using the Connect WiFi on the device. But can you try more times until it is connected? Also before trying, can you send this AT+CWMODE=3 if it doesn't work, try AT+CWMODE=1

The AT+CWMODE=3 seems to have worked - thanks!

Any thoughts on what happened and why I had to make the change? I'm still a bit concerned about that spurious data on the serial connection as well - thoughts?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

Hugo

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2022 :  05:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update! It worked ok for about an hour or so but it is now behaving much the same ie failing to connect and send the data to the server, so I think establishing the connection ok after the change was just luck.

I tried again using the AT command and the response is in the image below. It looks to me like there's a hardware issue because the response should be 'OK GOT IP' but as you can see it is quite corrupted.

'Server/Test Connection' produces random success/fail and I get lots of 'WiFi data send failed' messages

Edited by - Hugo on 03/29/2022 05:38:56
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2022 :  05:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Almost looks like a comport mis-configuration. Just because it is so strange - can you verify on both the counter and the computer side?

GeigerLog has a GLsermon.py script (see gtools directory) with a mode specific for GMC counter. As last resort perhaps worth a try?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

Hugo

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2022 :  08:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ullix

Almost looks like a comport mis-configuration. Just because it is so strange - can you verify on both the counter and the computer side?

GeigerLog has a GLsermon.py script (see gtools directory) with a mode specific for GMC counter. As last resort perhaps worth a try?

Thanks for suggestion but I don't think it is a com port mis-config all the GQ commands seem to work ok (I can run GETVER as many times as you like without seeing any corrupt response), I think it's the pass through/from the WiFi module that's the issue?

Edited by - Hugo on 03/29/2022 08:57:20
Go to Top of Page
Reply #9

EmfDev

2132 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2022 :  10:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried AT+RST? If you soldering iron, you can check if the soldering is still ok. It may be just noise from surrounding components. And when did you buy this device?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #10

Hugo

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2022 :  12:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have you tried AT+RST? If you soldering iron, you can check if the soldering is still ok. It may be just noise from surrounding components. And when did you buy this device?

I purchased it this year on Feb 26th and it was delivered March 2nd.

As an update, I took the battery out and opened the case to have a look at solder joints etc. Didn't do anything but put the case back on and put the battery back in. Now it is working fine and I don't see any corruption on the serial connection!!!!! Sounds like a dry joint or something to me!?!?!

Go to Top of Page
Reply #11

EmfDev

2132 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2022 :  09:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully it wont last for only 1 hour and will be permanent.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #12

Hugo

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2022 :  01:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hopefully it wont last for only 1 hour and will be permanent.

It's been solid for about 36hours now
Go to Top of Page
Reply #13

Jadeye

34 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2022 :  15:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may have a similar issue, but for me unfortunately no AT command seems to work, the response is always garbage text, while for example for GETVER it displays the version info. (This is on Windows 11 x64.) Without sending any commands it constantly sends back FF. When I turn on the device, the blue LED on the Wi-Fi module blinks about every second for about 30 seconds, then it stops blinking. When I then go into the menu and turn Wi-Fi on, it blinks once then it says WiFi Module Error. I tried to reset the Wi-Fi module but that does the same: the LED blinks once and then I receive the WiFi Module Error message. I tried re-flashing 2.29 on it, I even re-flashed it with 2.13, but the issue is the same. When I re-flashed it with 2.29, and thereof it did a factory reset, all settings for Wi-Fi, websites address, URL, user ID and counter ID were reset to probably FF, as when I read it in GQ Geiger Counter Data Viewer Re. 2.63 I only got "ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ" for all, and even after I tried entering all these again and sending it to the device, it doesn't seem to save it as when re-reading it from the device it either re-read it as "ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ", or read the website address as the Wi-Fi password, and so on. So I re-entered everything on the device itself, and that saved it correctly and then reading it with the software also read it correctly. The Wi-Fi still doesn't work though, it always says WiFi Module Error.

Logic board version is GMC6 v5.1 20190504.

The COM port is usually COM3,115200,n,8,1 and when I tried to set the baud rate on the device to like 57600, because why not, it didn't even connect.

As far as I can tell without a microscope the solder joints for the Wi-Fi module are OK, but I will resolder them tomorrow just to be sure.

Is there anything else that may be recommended in this case?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #14

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2022 :  23:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very odd.

Any chance that Heartbeat is switched on? Could be interfering. Just in case, turn it off with command "<HEARTBEAT0>>".

I wouldn't long for the soldering iron just yet. I'd like to see the results which GeigerLog finds on Extended Info, GMC configuration, and configuration memory.

Your logic board says "GMC6" but it is a 500 series? How old?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #15

Jadeye

34 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2022 :  04:25:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ullix Thanks for you reply, I have checked it with HEARTBEAT0, but it still is the same.

Here are the results from GeigerLog on Extended Info, GMC configuration, and configuration memory after a factory reset: pastebin.com/ftNLtLxe

When I manually changed the SSID and password on the device itself to a shorter one to have it in the log, then GeigerLog showed it as the shorter text and it continued with the leftover characters from the original text. So if the SSID and password was like "ThisIsMyWiFiNetworkName" and "ThisIsMyWiFiPasswordYouWillNotFigureOut", and I changed it to "WiFiName" and "MyPassword", then GeigerLog showed it as "WiFiNameWiFiNetworkName" and "MyPasswordFiPasswordYouWillNotFigureOut", which was odd, so I did a factory reset. Then I first had to delete the default FF-equivalent characters first and enter the SSID and password which then saved correctly.

After setting the correct Wi-Fi details in GeigerLog and saving it to the device, it is saved correctly, but when I turn on Wi-Fi, first it displays the "Connecting WiFi" message then after a few seconds I get the "WiFi Module Error".

I've purchased this GMC-500+ back in August of 2019 on Amazon from the official GQ store page.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #16

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2022 :  22:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see anything wrong with the config data, except that all things WiFi are off or missing or have a wrong value.

Is this truly what you get after a factory reset, or were you modifying it between reset and printout?

You should at least see these entries:

Website                    www.gmcmap.com
   URL                        log2.asp
   Period                     2
Go to Top of Page
Reply #17

Jadeye

34 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2022 :  02:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ullix That's how it looks after a factory reset, I didn't modify anything before the printout. I was surprised to see that the website and URL was also missing from the settings, but that's how it is. :(
Go to Top of Page
Reply #18

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2022 :  03:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This does not make sense at all. Have you also removed the battery, kept it out for a few minutes, and reinserted? Maybe both before and after a factory reset. (I have no better idea)

And to be sure: your firmware version is 2.29, which other people can use successfully?

If it still doesn't show up with proper WiFi credentials, I suggest to define this in the GeigerLog config file, and then apply it to the counter via menu: Device --> GMC-->Set GMC Configuration.
[Worldmaps]
gmcmapWebsite    = www.gmcmap.com
gmcmapURL        = log2.asp
gmcmapUserID     = <your UserId>
gmcmapCounterID  = <your CounterID>
gmcmapPeriod     = auto
gmcmapWiFiSwitch = ON

It is the default from the config file.

If you don't have a UserID and CounterID you need to get it on gmcmap.com

Go to Top of Page
Reply #19

EmfDev

2132 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2022 :  10:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jadeye, have you tried powering off the device completely and removing the battery?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #20

Jadeye

34 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2022 :  14:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ullix This is indeed on 2.29 –– after doing a factory reset AND removing the battery for a few minutes it seems the default values are now correctly there, but that was only a secondary problem. I can reproduce it however as I tried several resets today.

Unfortunately the Wi-Fi still doesn't work, but that's a separate issue, and doing a reset and removing the battery for a few minutes didn't fix that. And as long as the Wi-Fi itself won't work, adding the Wi-Fi credentials and the gmcmapUserID and gmcmapCounterID won't do much of course.

I also resoldered the module, but that still didn't fix it –– which leads me to believe that it would be an issue with the ESP-12S module itself.

@EmfDev Yes, I did that as well, unfortunately it didn't help :(.

Edited by - Jadeye on 08/15/2022 14:29:43
Go to Top of Page
Reply #21

EmfDev

2132 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2022 :  15:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may be possible that the module stopped working. Did you email support for warranty?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #22

Jadeye

34 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2022 :  00:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@EmfDev Not yet, but as I purchased it back in 2019, would it still be under warranty?

Update 1: I wrote to support just now.

Update 2: As it is over 1 year old now, it's no longer under warranty. Support will calculate how much the shipping back and forth would cost, and their repair fee is $30. Or they could also ship me a new WiFi module which I can use to replace the defected one in my device, that would be cheaper. Worst case scenario is that I can get one module from like aliexpress, or can try to re-flash the firmware on the module itself with like an arduino.

Update 3: I eventually bought a new Wi-Fi module from aliexpress, desoldered the old one from the device and soldered on the new one and it now works without any issue.

Edited by - Jadeye on 10/10/2022 03:39:21
Go to Top of Page
Reply #23

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2022 :  01:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
re update3:
Interesting achievement. Could you please more specific to your source. I think that chip needs to be pre-programmed in order to work with the counter? Or did you have had to do any firmware updates?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #24

Jadeye

34 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2022 :  01:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ullix: As the device has to use standard AT commands to control the Wi-Fi module, any other ESP-12S module would work, no GQ-specific firmware is needed. I got a ESP8266 12S with its standard AT firmware, I didn't do any firmware updates on it beforehand (and I also don't plan to do that now as it is working just fine).

I got this one specifically, "color" ESP-12S:
aliexpress /item/1005004294910390.html

Edited by - Jadeye on 10/12/2022 01:44:22
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.1 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000