Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Adj voltage on 320+ v4, similar PCB other models?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

violet_sin

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2020 :  13:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings, I've purchased a gmc 320+ v4 recently. It's terrific fun testing potash, welding rods, fiesta ware and mineral samples. All this fun has me wondering what can be done with it. I see a lot of modding devices and creativity going one here, which is awesome. Having read quite a few threads on the 320+ and other, i didn't see power adjustment instructions for tube voltages specific to the machine version I have.

One problem is understanding which pcb boards are equivalent build with just a couple firmware changes, or additional module (320+ V4 -> v5 wifi upgrade). Some information led me to believe the 300+ has a similar pcb to the 320+. As the path may be right in front of me already in another thread, figured it was a good idea to ask around.

The goal was to use this brain with several different Geiger counter tubes as eyes. Not all in at the same time, but available for extended visibility should I have a need of it. Perhaps a connection for a diy wand, sounds fun.

I've accumulated one each of the tubes LND 712, LND 713, SI19BGM as well as the M4011 that came with my 320+. Both the 712/713 want 500v which is where I'm stuck on that, though the si19bgm is similar working voltage as is.

This si19bgm ive seen advertised as alpha/beta/gamma sensitive on etsy from Ukraine, but there are some I see now that say beta/gamma only. Certainly tiny in either case. Am I correct in assuming that because voltage is same, doesn't make it plug and play as the correction factors/calibration stuff would be WAY off. Active tube area's are vastly different from m4011 to si19bgm.

Was going to throw in a pic, but it's far too large to be useful, and cropping alone doesn't fix it. Needs lower res.

Probably should have read a bit more before spending the cash, because 320+ v4, v5, the 500/500+ are not that different in price. The differences were not immediately clear to untrained eyes. In the end, I'll likely buy another meter. But for now... Chemistry hobby -> element collection -> sample radioactivity -> gq gmc320+ for safety -> several extra tubes ... I'm kinda played out $$ wise for a bit

I will say the people at LND are nice enough to put up with my novice questions; but I wish they had a price guide or mailable catalogue instead of direct inquiry.

Thanks for any input.
-VS-

Sans comments or input, further reading seems to suggest the HV PSU is providing 400v max off the PCB as is, and dividing smaller with different resistors etc. won't be helpful for n getting to 500v.

Can anyone confirm that for sure? Also as before, are any of the main pcb boards similar across models?

I've messaged GQ a week or more before posting this, and no response so far. So I have asked here, not just expecting to be spoon fed. There seems to be some here with vastly larger intellects than my own. I'm not above being told it is a pipedream, just looking for any info.

Edited by - violet_sin on 11/04/2020 13:34:22
Reply #1

Damien68

France
777 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2020 :  23:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only have a GMC500 +, with it we can easily switch to 500v output just by software settings in device menu.
for a GMC-320+V4 I do not know if we can do it.

Mastery is acquired by studying, with it everything becomes simple
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000