GMC Data Logger PRO V5.52 software
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ChrisLX200

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  14:22:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone (other than me) actually use this software to log data to disk? I'm beginning to feel something of an idiot because try as I may I cannot get the thing to record my data to disk. It saves files - empty ones - but no actual numbers for the counts.

I've tried many settings, double-checked the help file (which is out of date and only shows info for previous versions), but still nothing. I let it autosave ALL file types @ 24hiur intervals, the *.bin files are 1KB with nothing in them, the *.csv files contain only the column headings, the *htm files only contain the column headings, the *.jpg files contain an empty graph with just the axies and no data. The software IS managing to upload data to the world map, and the on-screen display works as it should.

Dammit I PAID for this software and frankly with this sort of quality you would have trouble giving it away for free. :-(

Is there any other software that will interface with the 300+?

GMC-300E-plus
Reply #1

ChrisLX200

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  05:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kind-of got Data Logger PRO to record some numbers - but not in the way I wanted (i.e., to produce a single *.csv file per day of 60sec readings). It's far from intuitive to set up and still buggy. I also have distelzombie's Geigerlog for Windows (for Python 3.6) script running but it produces some silly numbers (alternate recording of the real data point, which at ~23 is normal background, followed by one with of a high 32K figure... weird). Ullix's Geigerlog script requires Python 2.7 but I really don't want to complicate things having an older version of Python installed as well as the new one, but I may try with my laptop which has neither version of Python installed at the moment.

GMC-300E-plus

Edited by - ChrisLX200 on 07/12/2017 05:09:03
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

GBG12

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2017 :  16:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you use Radlog software from Radmon.org, you will get daily log files in .xml format with lines like this:
<DataPoint YValues="17" XValue="42932.636973912035"/>
where the XValue is CPM and the YValue is a timestamp, with 5 entries per minute.

Or, if you use wapp4netc software from NETC.com, you get a single .txt file with lines like:
2017-07-20	20:22:44	19
again value is CPM, with one entry per minute.

At the same time, your station can post to the respective world map with graphical data available for all. I feel that is the best way to share real-time data. I use an audio splitter and 2 MIC inputs to feed both maps with my GMC-200.

Edited by - GBG12 on 07/20/2017 16:30:26
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

ChrisLX200

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  02:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GBG12

If you use Radlog software from Radmon.org, you will get daily log files in .xml format with lines like this:
<DataPoint YValues="17" XValue="42932.636973912035"/>
where the XValue is CPM and the YValue is a timestamp, with 5 entries per minute.

Or, if you use wapp4netc software from NETC.com, you get a single .txt file with lines like:
2017-07-20	20:22:44	19
again value is CPM, with one entry per minute.

At the same time, your station can post to the respective world map with graphical data available for all. I feel that is the best way to share real-time data. I use an audio splitter and 2 MIC inputs to feed both maps with my GMC-200.

Thanks for the suggestions, by coincidence I had already dropped across the Radmon website and downloaded their app (V0.42a doesn't work but V0.41 is fine). I signed up and have been streaming my data to their map for a week or so now (same user name as here). I figured every week or so I would swap back to GQ datalogger just to keep their map up to date but your suggestion of using an audio input temps me to try both at the same time - USB into one and audio into the other. I don't know if it will work like that. :)

GMC-300E-plus
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  03:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If all you care about is logging data to disk, then I can offer my geigerlog_simple.py program, available at SourceForge https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/files/

It is almost the simplest version possible of only a few dozen lines with plenty of comments in just 2kB. It runs on Python 2.x and Python 3.x. As the only non-standard module it needs the "serial" module, which is easily found and installed even on Windows, as I tested in a virtual machine windows (but where I couldn't get the GQ driver installed; so I couldn't test logging).

Logging is all what it does, no history, no graph, no error checking, no other interaction with the counter. Though as one added feature it tells you which Serial Ports it found on your system, which is helpful to adjust the program's internal settings.

The log file is basically in csv format:

$ python3 geigerlog_simple.py 
Ports found on this system:
/dev/ttyUSB0 - USB2.0-Serial

2017-07-21 12:56:25 , CPM= 514
2017-07-21 12:56:26 , CPM= 511
2017-07-21 12:56:27 , CPM= 514
2017-07-21 12:56:28 , CPM= 516

Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

ChrisLX200

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  04:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I mentioned in another thread that I already tried geigerlog (the version that runs on Python 3.6) a week or so ago, it would start and run OK but I was getting alternate real readings with a reading of 32k-odd at short time intervals, at longer time intervals (10sec IIRC) they were all reading 32K+. I never did figure out why that was happening and since then have been using Radlog Pro.

GMC-300E-plus
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  07:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ChrisLX200: None of my GeigerLog versions have so far worked on Python3! What you had used was a version done by Distelzombie, who apparently had put some big mistakes into that program while he was doing it off some of my earlier versions.

I can tell you that I am not happy about him using the same name GeigerLog for his faulty program, which now taints the real GeigerLog!

The reason for this new geigerlog_simple.py to be compatible with both Py2 and Py3 is what it says in its name: "simple", so that I could easily program a workaround to the 2 and 3 differences. Even a Python-novice will hardly have a problem understanding the code.

I am currently experimenting with Windows Virtual machines, so here geigerlog_simple.py is running life on a virtual win8.1 under Py:
Image Insert:

9623 bytes

and here under Linux and Py3:
$ python3 ./geigerlog_simple.py 
Ports found on this system:
/dev/ttyUSB0 - USB2.0-Serial

2017-07-21 17:40:27 , CPM= 513
2017-07-21 17:40:28 , CPM= 515
2017-07-21 17:40:29 , CPM= 519
2017-07-21 17:40:30 , CPM= 523
2017-07-21 17:40:31 , CPM= 517
2017-07-21 17:40:32 , CPM= 520

I didn't bother to clean up the print statement, but the log file is clean on all systems.

Putting a PyQt4 environment on a Windows box is unfortunately a whole different thing. If anyone has managed that, please contact me.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

Distelzombie

Germany
202 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  09:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
@ChrisLX200: None of my GeigerLog versions have so far worked on Python3! What you had used was a version done by Distelzombie, who apparently had put some big mistakes into that program while he was doing it off some of my earlier versions.

I can tell you that I am not happy about him using the same name GeigerLog for his faulty program, which now taints the real GeigerLog!

Dude. I asked you several times. You said nothing. I was tired of waiting for emails or forum responses, while you wrote in other threads. And since you used an open source license I was allowed to use the name, changed. I did so for easier reference. That should be understandable.
The moment your program was working on windows, I deleted the description and put a link going to your version on it. (April)

I understand that it is no longer necessary and I shouldn't have used the word "GeigerLog" in the name. (Again: you never said anything about this before. It's too late now.)
I left it for archive reasons... There. I deleted the thing. (Ticket with request of deletion.)

(It worked absolutely perfect with my counter, though.)

GMC-300E+ V4.20 with sbt-11a alpha tube

My statements are "stuff-a-hobbyist-says" and not in any way professional.

Edited by - Distelzombie on 07/21/2017 09:39:49
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

ChrisLX200

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  13:08:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah sorry, my bad - I mixed up the different versions. So it seems I have not tried Geigerlog_simple.

ChrisH

GMC-300E-plus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000