GMC-320 Plus high counting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erfanra

Sweden
3 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2017 :  07:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a GMC-320 Plus Geiger counter and I have tested with radioactive sample and it shows about 4000-7000 cpm when it is connected to the charger or pc via usb cable and when i disconnect the cable then it shows 700cpm with same sample, what is the problem?
anybody have this problem?
And is it normal that it takes about 2 minutes until it counts down and reduces 5000CPM to normal background radiations ?

Er

Er
Reply #1

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  00:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got such significant discrepancies in count rates only with my light-sensitive tube. See the in-depth discussion here: http://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4540

Follow that post to verify that your tube is NOT light-sensitive!

CPM=7000 is not lethal but also not negligible ( see calculation here http://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4568) . Are you sure that your source could even give off such a high level of radiation? What kind is the source? Is it beta or gamma?

The tube itself adapts to a new radiation level within a millisecond or less, because that is how long a single pulse lasts. But in CPM mode the counter sums up all the events over the past minute, and hence it should adapt to a new rate level within exactly 1 minute. Compare with picture for a change from 550CPM to background. If it takes longer, then something else is going on.

Image Insert:

29964 bytes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.07 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000