2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 GMC 320 plus v4 tube noise?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rogert

3 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2015 :  08:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently received this counter and discovered it makes a 'soft' quiet noise at times, when moved. It sounds like a burned out incandescent light bulb filament striking the bulb. The device seems to function fine. I'm being cautious about moving it until I know what is happening. I sent an email to support last week. They must be busy.
Any ideas?
Reply #1

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2015 :  11:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sound is not from tube. It comes from a tube voltage step-up coil. It may make sound if the circuit oscillation in lower frequency (<16KHz)

Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

Rogert

3 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2015 :  11:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Solid state electronics making noise upon movement? :/
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2015 :  07:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No. The noise is not from solid state. It comes from a coil due to the current changing in coil. If the coil tight enough, then the noise will disappear.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

Rogert

3 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2015 :  11:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I am hearing is only when unit is physically moved. Coil noise happens while unit is operating, movement or not, correct?
I open the battery door, put my ear close to tube and hear rattling only when softly tapping on housing. Like filament burned in incandescent light bulb. I also hear noise when setting unit on a table. These are the only times I hear rattling noise. I believe the tube filament is rattling against the glass tube, or the tube itself is moving.
I have heard coils scream, squeal, and make noise like a bad bearing. I have heard high voltage coils buzz in an old CRT. This is not coil noise. Something is loose and rattles with movement.
Is a replacement out of the question?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2015 :  21:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand now.

The rattling noise is normal. The tube positive electrode is a long thing wire through the center of tube. If there is a movement, that wire may vibrate a little bit. The sound like rattling noise.

Every tube has this sound.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000