SE Idaho radiation monitoring sites
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NRFneversail

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2015 :  14:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm from the SE Idaho area and worked at Naval Reactors Facility (NRF) during the peak of it's days before the prototype training Nukes were eventually shut down and decommissioned.

It may be of interest to others here that the Lost River Rest Stop kind of in the heart of the INL Site, for years since has had a monitoring station and before the new rest stop was built, they had a real nice sheltered outdoor self guided display showing live environmental radiation readings that I believe even included cosmic activity the last time I saw it.

Though I have been by, I have not stopped to see the new rest stop but it appears by the below web site, to still have a monitoring station there as it is still listed and is active. I have no idea though if the outdoor display was re-built but the rest stop is next to the Lost River bridge a short drive down Hwy. 20 west towards Arco from the EBR-1 Reactor Facility Museum turnoff.

The nuclear jet engines at the museum were originally at Test Area North facility and that was where I first saw and stood near them and the special train cars and engine used to move them. These were long ago de-fueled but are just radioactive enough that the last I saw them at the EBR-1 museum, they are fenced in so the curious public can not climb on or hug them. As best I know, these are the only artifacts remaining from that nuclear Jet program. Having worked in the Naval Reactor program walking in hull around operating prototype reactors and handled irradiated fuel and components, I suspect these two nuke jet engines plus the EBR-1 reactor display are maybe the only in the world the public can visit. When EBR-1 opens this summer, you guys need to stop in and take a look see and maybe even check the rest stop to see if the live display is up and running.

deq.idaho.gov/radiation-monitoring

www4vip.inl.gov/ebr/

Edited by - NRFneversail on 03/14/2015 14:42:49
Reply #1

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2015 :  13:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good information. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly