Need a new Geiger counter feature
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Craig

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  22:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've placed this request in the past and it could be that GQ is making good progress on it. It could also be that the new model will turn out to be a furslugginer tuna boat. --Either way, enough time has passed to renew my request.

I'd like to see GQ offer a very simple, stand alone feature --which for some reason is only found on expensive Geiger counters:

*** A timed count.

I don't care if anything else displays or communicates out the ports.

As long as those of us doing monitoring could have a very affordable, simple, battery operated Geiger counter with an adjustable timed count and a display of that total count (10 minutes, an hour, 10 hours, and whatever in between) --THEN we could park it in a remote "bird house" shelter, not have to run out cable, not have to be running a computer and a data logging program. We could simply collect the counter and the count later in the day.

Hey: don't need no: uSv/hr, uR/hr, real time CPM --not even logging or a USB port.

I'm talking simple and cheap, but with a reasonably good timing clock and a good enough battery to reliably go the distance of it's longest period count.

Hey GQ: your Russian competition just doesn't understand this basic need. Their new RD1212 only counts up for 10 minutes per data point. Ain't nobody got a timed count in an affordable counter. The market would be yours.
Reply #1

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2015 :  18:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Timed Count already added in the GMC-320 V4 version.

You can download the GMC-320 V4 demo software from:

http://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/download/SoftGeigerCounterGMC320EPlusV4.zip

and see Timed Count section from user guide:

http://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/downloads/download.asp?DownloadID=79

Image Insert:

132.92 KB
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

Craig

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  20:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for GMC-320-v4! Its specifications certainly fill the bill --plus it has an amazing array of flexible features. I'll be buying one come payday.

Comments:

* In the old user guide, there was an implication that battery life might be limited to hours, when it's actually days --using the comes-with battery. By dropping in an 1800mah to 2500mah replacement, the 320 will probably run for a week

* Given that much battery life, and that the year long plus data logging is always on (minute or hour data points for normal monitoring), then there's good recovery, should you be unable to collect and reset the 320 after an initial timed count. (I'm talking manual data posting, like we do via the RadViews map system.)

* I'm also impressed that the timed count averages the CPM to 4 places: a nice convenience.

I'll have more to say after I get to work with a 320-v4.

Craig

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000