Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Radiation Levels in Japan (moving to Japan)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KNO3

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2014 :  16:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone!

So I'm new to these forums and anything to do with the GQ counter or radiation levels in general. I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in this but here it goes anyway...

It has been a long standing dream of my wife's to move to Japan and live there so we have been perusing making it possible for quite some time, long before the Fukushima mess. It finally became a reality this year and we will be moving there for 1-2 years.

When Fukushima happened it was a concern of mine and the more this move be came a reality the more concerned I was with radiation levels in Japan. So after some research a few months back I purchased the GMC-320. I was hoping that we could find work further south to be on the safe side but unfortunately my wife ended up getting a job placement approximately 160kms (100miles) South of the plant. That was way closer then I was comfortable with but after doing some research is seems that area should be fine at this point.

Regardless I will be testing the background levels as well as food, tap water, etc. Currently in Vancouver I'm getting about 15-20CPM but I haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it. Ill be using it during my flight into Japan which I believe fly's directly over the plant and into Tokyo. I'm hoping that I find similar safe levels to here and there's nothing to worry about but either way ill post my results from various areas of Japan.

My wife has been there now for over two months and ill be going on the 15th of July. She has actually experienced 4 small but noticeable earthquakes so far. Due to the delicate situation at the plant I'm concerned that another earthquake could change things there quickly which is another reason I wanted a detector with us.

Edited by - KNO3 on 07/02/2014 23:03:12
Reply #1

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2014 :  13:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The GMC-320 is a good starting point for the radiation level monitoring. If you start to use before the airplane take off, then you should see the radiation changes during the flight. The GMC-320 is able to detect the radiation from space too.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

KNO3

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2014 :  22:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So i landed in Japan a few days ago and finally got the chance to download the data from the GMC-320. Throughout the 10.5hr flight it seems to have averaged between 370CPM and 400CMP. It peaked at 435CPM at one point.

Here in Ishioka Japan im getting close to the same levels of background radiation i was in Vancouver or lower. So far im seeing levels ranging from 11CPM-20CPM but the average actually seems to be around 15CPM which is better than it was in Vancouver.

The only thing i have checked besides background is the tap water which i did by filling a 2L jug and placing the counter on top. I didnt notice any change in levels.

Edit: July 27 Today we went to a fish market and purchased quite a bit of different types of fish. Presumably this fish was caught in the pacific off the coast of Japan in our area. I placed the detector on each of the packages and didn't notice any change in levels. So far water, food and background seemed to be normal.

Edited by - KNO3 on 07/27/2014 01:40:49
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  20:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is good thing to know. At least you do not need to too worry arround your area.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

Setagaya-Observer

7 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2014 :  04:40:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am here in Japan too (Tokyo) and use at least 2 different Geiger-Counter,
one is the GMC-320.

I upload one or two Videos on Youtube a Week.
Just look for SetagayaObserver.

It is nearly impossible to check Tap Water with a Geiger-Counter
but we know there is nothing inside.

(afair you need a few Litre and boil it down,
like a Distillation)

We use much more sophisticated Instruments for it,
you can collect a lot of useful Information about Fruits, Vegetables, Dairy, Meat, and Fishes
via the Citizens Radioactivity Measuring Station, it is a NPO/NGO
and reachable via; en.crms.jpn.org
Edit: i don:t know why the link do not work
but just look for "Citizen's Radioactivity Measuring Station"
h66p://en.crms-jpn.org/

Ah i see, it is not allowed!

I have more Addresses when you are in need for it,
just let me know!

Tokyo today; ca. 0.09o mcSv/hour on the dry Ground

Edited by - Setagaya-Observer on 09/05/2014 04:51:38
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic