GMC-300 questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gqshin

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2013 :  11:29:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I newly purchased GMC-300 from your company.
I live in near Seattle area and I got the result between 0.05 thru 0.12 uSv/h(micro) most of time.

I have two questions.
#1. Is there any way to simply check this machine working accurately without buying uranium ore sample?

#2. Can I check the radiation on foods like vinyl packed fish in stores with this machine? If so, 0.08 to 0.12 uSv/h is OK to eat?

Please share the basic information regarding this machine's application in our daily life.
Thank you for your time in advance.
Reply #1

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2013 :  17:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#1. Yes. Your background reading is correct.
#2. Yes. You can check the food with GMC-300. Place the unit closely to the food. Wait a few minutes, if the GMC-300 reading is no much changes comparing to the background reading, then the food is safe. The radioactive contaminated food reading should be much higher than background reading.

The GMC-300 can be mounted on the wall, so that you can monitor each day's radiation level changes in particular area. You also can put it on the refrigerator door(use a self adhesive magnetic strip on unit back), to monitor your food in it.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

Craig

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2013 :  22:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Surely: one might avoid grossly contaminated food/beverage by surveying it with a Geiger counter, but close and careful readings are likely to produce a false positive due to normal K-40 potassium content (as has been my experience).

I do believe, however, that the only way to declare food safe to eat is to have it competently tested with gamma spectrometry equipment: maybe $5000 worth of gear and long, experience/study to come up with the right answers.

Please let me know of source information to the contrary, since I'm just an amateur at monitoring radiation and have much to learn.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000