Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Radiation higher when holding the device in hands?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trefzger99

2 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2022 :  00:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there. A basic question? I know the human body is lightly radioactive. So is it possible that the cpm is a little bit higher if you hold the device in your hands instead of laying it on a table (per example). I don’t know if this is a stupid question. But what’s your experiences?
Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Dirk
Reply #1

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2022 :  10:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dirk, probably not. The geiger counter might not be sensitive enough to see the difference.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2022 :  01:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In principle the idea is correct that the human body should put a few extra counts into a Geiger counter. However ...

The main source for the extra counts of radiation is Potassium (chemical sign: K), due to its content of the radioactive isotope K-40. Bananas actually contain roughly 50% more K-40 than the human body (3.6 vs. 2.5 g/kg). This resulted in the (in)famous definition of the "Banana equivalent dose". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_equivalent_dose

I attempted to verify the activity of bananas using a GMC-300E+ counter, and I succeeded. The results are summarized in my "Going Banana" article, found in my Articles folder on SourceForge https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/files/Articles/

It takes some long measurement hours, and some digging into statistics to understand "Standard Deviation" and "Standard Error" before one is able to confirm success!

As the human body has lower K-40 content than a banana, longer times will be needed. Given that the statistic improves only with the square root of the counts, my guess is that at least (!) a week-long experiment, with constant recording, and changing every 20 hours from background to hand-holding will give enough data for a firm conclusion.

If you are not prepared for those long counter-sitting periods, maybe you can put the bar a bit lower: cocoa powder, as you can buy it from the supermarket, has even 4 times higher potassium than bananas (15.2 g/kg). My counter gave this result for switching between background and intimate contact between counter and cocoa powder:

But note the time scale: be patient when the count rate is low! And always verify proper Poisson statistics for your work to be valid, see article.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

trefzger99

2 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  06:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. Thanks for your explanations and replies. Greetings, Dirk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page