GMC-200 at 13 months outdoors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Craig

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  12:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are images of my fixed outdoor monitoring station (that coffee can with a funnel rain hat), my mobile station^, and a sample of the graphs that I post every few days to "RadViews".

* The only change I made to the GMC-200 was to put a diode in series with the battery (so it can't be charged), then I installed a 4-year shelf life, ordinary 9v Alkaline backup battery instead.

Image Insert:

120.02 KB

* That fixed station is out in the middle of our yard and uses a GMC-200, which has been running consistently and reliably for over a year. It's inside a sealed "freezer" Ziploc bag with a packet of silicon-gel desiccant --which is inside that coffee can (now painted white to minimize the Sun's heat).

*^ I had to run 80 feet of Cat-3 cable to it (Cat-5 would be better) which I pulled through sealed PVC pipe for the underground portion. This powers the GMC-200 and feeds back audio pulses --which go to the comes-with pulse-to-USB adapter cable. (The run tests good to 5000cpm.)

^ If an affordable, battery powered Geiger counter --with an adjustable timed count display feature-- had been available, I wouldn't have had to dig in that cable and pipe --or even concern myself with computer and software to log the daily count.

^ Nor would it have been necessary to retrofit a broken Medcom "Inspector" with an SBM-20 G-M tube in order to have a decent mobile station (with a timed count).

Craig
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000