Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 GMC300/320 Sensitivity Mod

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
honderpilot Posted - 02/07/2017 : 10:29:09
Hey All,

I'm new here and just received my GMC 320. I was measuring some of my uranium glass collection and noticed that my 320 was detecting significantly lower (25%) radiation than a control which was tested with a $300 Soeks Quantum GC. Once I removed the back and exposed the tube then the readings seemed consistent with what I expected. I was thinking about 3-D printing my own back piece for the 320 which covers the board but exposes the Muller tube because I believe that the plastic housing is decreasing the sensitivity. Thoughts?

Thanks!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Distelzombie Posted - 02/07/2017 : 18:36:29
quote:
Originally posted by honderpilot
Thanks, i'll start looking. If I recalibrate it, would that make it correct or just artificially inflate the readings?

Make it correct? It will change the calculation of ySv/h or the other, more useless thing: mR/h. Nothing else.
Oh, maybe it will change the alarm threshold. Im not sure about this.

Look into the "calibration" thread for how to calibrate correctly. Its sticked to the top of the list.
honderpilot Posted - 02/07/2017 : 18:20:07
quote:
Originally posted by Distelzombie

Hi. Many people did that and its not particularly clear why GQ used such a thick plastic housing with almost no holes. Search this forum a little bit and you'll see many Mods. I for example build in a sbt-11a pancake tube.
You have to recalibrate the device though, whatever you do.

Thanks, i'll start looking. If I recalibrate it, would that make it correct or just artificially inflate the readings?

Distelzombie Posted - 02/07/2017 : 11:07:50
Hi. Many people did that and its not particularly clear why GQ used such a thick plastic housing with almost no holes. Search this forum a little bit and you'll see many Mods. I for example build in a sbt-11a pancake tube.
You have to recalibrate the device though, whatever you do.

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000