Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 GQ GMC-300E Plus 64kb How long can it record?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
design_fort Posted - 07/19/2022 : 09:00:44
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a GQ GMC-300E Plus as it is within my price range. I understand it has 64kb of memory.
How long can it record until the memory is full? Does it output in Excel format?

Thanks in advance?
Herb
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
design_fort Posted - 07/20/2022 : 06:44:03
Hi Ullix,

thank you so much! This helps a lot. Also thanks a lot for this fantastic software! I think this is exactly what I need.

Greetings
Herb

quote:
Originally posted by ullix

Herb,

it depends on the type of recording set by you and the intensity of the radioactive source. For background in CPM mode this may be up to 5 weeks. For CPS this is less than a day, but CPS should be used for short-recordings-only anyway. You can switch the counter between CPM and CPS at any time.

E.g, CPS is a good choice when you are traveling by plane and want to record the X-ray pulse during luggage-checking. CPM for the rest of the journey and for everything else.

Read the GeigerLog manual in the chapter "GMC devices", sub-chapter "History Background":
quote:
For a CPS measurement, this suffices for almost one full day of measurements. For a CPM
measurement the memory would last roughly from 1 to 5 weeks. The duration depends strongly on
the intensity of the radiation due to the storage algorithm implemented in the Geiger counter
firmware. It should easily cover even an extended vacation, unless you plan on camping inside a
damaged nuclear reactor!

If you want to dig deeper, find even more details in chapter "Appendix E – GMC Device: Internal Memory, Storage Format and Parsing Strategy".

Neither counter nor software GeigerLog do output in strict Excel format. However, you can download the counter history with GeigerLog, and output the data in CSV (Comma separated values) format, which can easily be read or even pasted into Excel (if this is needed at all, as the analysis can be done in GeigerLog itself, offering even more analysis than Excel can).

Download software, manual and more from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/

ullix Posted - 07/19/2022 : 23:52:15
Herb,

it depends on the type of recording set by you and the intensity of the radioactive source. For background in CPM mode this may be up to 5 weeks. For CPS this is less than a day, but CPS should be used for short-recordings-only anyway. You can switch the counter between CPM and CPS at any time.

E.g, CPS is a good choice when you are traveling by plane and want to record the X-ray pulse during luggage-checking. CPM for the rest of the journey and for everything else.

Read the GeigerLog manual in the chapter "GMC devices", sub-chapter "History Background":
quote:
For a CPS measurement, this suffices for almost one full day of measurements. For a CPM
measurement the memory would last roughly from 1 to 5 weeks. The duration depends strongly on
the intensity of the radiation due to the storage algorithm implemented in the Geiger counter
firmware. It should easily cover even an extended vacation, unless you plan on camping inside a
damaged nuclear reactor!

If you want to dig deeper, find even more details in chapter "Appendix E – GMC Device: Internal Memory, Storage Format and Parsing Strategy".

Neither counter nor software GeigerLog do output in strict Excel format. However, you can download the counter history with GeigerLog, and output the data in CSV (Comma separated values) format, which can easily be read or even pasted into Excel (if this is needed at all, as the analysis can be done in GeigerLog itself, offering even more analysis than Excel can).

Download software, manual and more from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000