Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Does direct sunlight really affect readings?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
StevenL Posted - 04/02/2022 : 14:02:26
Hello, I just received a new GMC-500+, I love it.

I have mine installed in a window, and at the end of the day it gets maybe one hour of direct sunlight, albeit behind a glass window.

I read in the manual you should avoid taking readings in direct sunlight.

Can ayone confirm what effect it might have?

Thanks, Steven Lightfoot
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rad26 Posted - 10/26/2022 : 10:56:19
If you have an area in the shade outdoors, you could always compare that reading, to the indoor behind glass reading. In case there is something up with the window glass or paint.

quote:
Originally posted by StevenL

I have mine installed in a window, and at the end of the day it gets maybe one hour of direct sunlight, albeit behind a glass window.

StevenL Posted - 04/06/2022 : 03:53:10
quote:
Originally posted by ullix

Nuclear Physics and Cancer research

Thanks. That explains why you really know the subject. Excellent. I will read all your documwents and have downloaded your log software. I will review it all in detail. I am an experienced mechanical engineer working in the power sector, and I have decided I want to become more radiation aware, so I am braking on a self-education process. Your information will be invaluiable. Cheers. Steven Lightfoot
ullix Posted - 04/05/2022 : 22:29:06
Nuclear Physics and Cancer research
StevenL Posted - 04/05/2022 : 14:56:52
quote:
Originally posted by ullix

For starters I suggest a round of "Potty Training" with my article "GeigerLog-Potty Training for Your Geiger Counter-v1.0.pdf", download from https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/files/Articles/

Potty Training is a great document. Thanks. May I ask what kind of techincal background you have?
StevenL Posted - 04/04/2022 : 04:52:02
Ullix. Thank you so much. I will read for sure! I noticed in some other posts which I am slowly reading your SW does some statistical analysis also, which I really excited about, I saw a poiaaon fit to some CPM histogram, which I really want to replicate with my backgropund data. I will bein touch again after I have digested your information. This is great stuff. Steven Lightfoot
ullix Posted - 04/03/2022 : 23:26:34
For starters I suggest a round of "Potty Training" with my article "GeigerLog-Potty Training for Your Geiger Counter-v1.0.pdf", download from https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/files/Articles/
StevenL Posted - 04/03/2022 : 08:30:29
Ullix, Thanks, that is really helpful.

I am totally new to Geiger counters and radiation (although I am an experienced mechanical engineer) so I am very keen to become proficient in these subject. You obviously have lots of experience. I will start to review posts, I just got registered, and am now trying to finalize my upload settings to the map. Steve
ullix Posted - 04/02/2022 : 23:31:31
There are plenty of reports in this forum on light - from sun, LED, ... - creating counts in GMC's counters, search for it.

You can generally find out by shining a white LED onto the inner ends of the rod in the tube.

The strange thing is that some tubes are not sensitive at all, while at least in one case even a blackened tube was sensitive! I have now seen photos from new counters showing the tube looking like wrapped into some kind of black-paper, obviuosly to avoid the light impact. How does your tube look?

However, even if your tube turns out to be not sensitive, it is not a good idea to mount the counter at a location which changes in temperature, which will happen, when the counter gets sunlight, because the count rate will also change with temperature.

It is also not necessary to mount the counter at the window pane, perhaps you are expecting a higher count rate? Put it on a place inside the room, perhaps away from the walls, because they may contribute due to their Potassium content.

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000