Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Difficulty getting the Audio to USB working

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Macksparky Posted - 04/05/2013 : 08:03:07
GQ/ ZLM,

Having some difficulty getting the Audio to USB working.help would be appreciated.

THE SET UP
Tried 2 computers (Vista Pro and Win-7 64 bit).
Running GQ-PRO 5.22 with Tool-081 cable and latest USB driver (1.5.0) loaded. Used SE Monitor 4(can hear clicks in headphones)and Android phone Geiger Click simulator.

Audio-to-audio cable alone (part of the GQ tool-081) works OKAY on GQ pro.

THE PROBLEM
USB to Audio set to 57600, 38400, and 9600, n,8,1,none. Respectively.
Graph is flat-lined at zero. No counts. Counts one when I disconnect/ hot plug the Audio cable at the Geiger End. SO USB seems alive.
Pro Graph also registers noise if I inject by holding my finger on the bare plug on the Geiger end.

So- Any advice ( Impedance matching , p-p singnal strength etc etc) ?

Thanks GQ/ ZLM
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Macksparky Posted - 04/12/2013 : 14:44:31
GQ/ ZLM,

Success !!!

So with the modified circuit and running on my 64 bit Win7 Machine all works perfectly. Activity and uS/h outputs are live and seem accurate.
Followed your advice and ran as administrator- ran with no issues.

Unfortunately as you advise there seems to be an issue with Windows. The Vista version on my other machine is not working and displays "Static" rather than numbers although the graphical part does register events. I'll keep watching the boards in case there is a work-around.

I will keep your circuit in my back-pocket in case my effort proves unreliable. Your suggested DC decoupling and Diode Clamping idea seems very good. Interesting that the GQ Module uses the "Sleeve-&-ring" contacts on the 3.5mm plug rather than the "tip" as an input line !
The reverse bias of the output also seemed important in my set up in that swapping the leads into the GQ- Tool 081 (ie keeping both sleeves at 0v ref ) did not work for me. So the input and reference lines were swapped (see my diagram for Sleeve Ring and Tip orientation)

So Just to close out... THANKS FOR HELPING TO SOLVE THE ISSUE !!!
Knowing the COMx=38400,n,8,1,none helped, as did knowing there was a Windows issue. I will retry the next versions of GQ-Pro as they come available and de-install the licence from my Vista laptop. As a suggestion a Y-axis scale would also help?

So here is my last screen-shot taken under the influence of an Am241 37kBq source.

Thanks a Mill... keep up the good work !!!

MackSparky - out !!!

Image Insert:

80.38 KB
ZLM Posted - 04/12/2013 : 09:23:56
Thanks for the information and nice picture.

It seems the Mornitor 4 output a higher voltage pulse.

There is another way to do the voltage matching:

Image Insert:

14.04 KB
Which software you are using to get the "software graph is running and reading Geiger events."?

I heard the "STATIC" issues before, but I am unable to repeat it with my software. It seems the software are not able to access some Windows resourses.

Try to restart the software as Administrator. Right click on the software icron and select "Run as administrator"
Macksparky Posted - 04/12/2013 : 02:27:28
No Count = the work "STATIC" displayed.
Macksparky Posted - 04/12/2013 : 02:26:23
GQ/ ZLM,

Here is the latest position...
I have found the direct cable supplied would never work with the Monitor 4.

After popping the output on the oscilloscope I came up with the following "solution"...

Image Insert:

43.64 KB

Now the software graph is running and reading Geiger events. ie each click gives additional peak or increased height in graph.

NOW the only issue I have remaining is since 5.28 no counting registered by the software in graphical mode!

Can you help with that.

Macksparky
Macksparky Posted - 04/09/2013 : 14:28:58
Hi GQ/ ZLM

I did already match and ensure the system COM port and software COM port were matched from the outset.(Both now COM3).

Since - I have removed and un-registered the GQ-PRO software. (5.22)
Re installed the 2011 driver DLL's.Prolific 3.4.25.218 (7/10/2011)

Re installed the 5.28 GQ-PRO software
Re-booted
Re-Registered.
Set both pc hardware system devices Manager (listed Com Prolific USB) and the GQ-PRO software to 38400,n,8,1,none.
Tried GMC -200 USB and Other USB cable outputs.

Still not working...

BUT as before touching the Audio cable tips with my finger causes the graph to rise. Due to introduction of noise.
This indicates to me the Port is live - possibly?

As I said, I also tried two audio sources.
Beginning to doubt the USB to Audio module?
Cable ohms out OK.

Still unsure how to proceed- Thanks in advance for more advice?

MackSparky.
ZLM Posted - 04/05/2013 : 18:35:25
The regular baud rate is 38400.

Make sure you have selected correct comport number. You can find the comport number from device manager.

The procedure:

1. connect the TOOL-081 USB to computer.
2. start software and select Geiger Counter type: GMC-200 with USB cable
3. and select the correct comport with 38400 baud rate.

Once you selected correct comport and the driver is loaded correctly. then it should work easily.

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.05 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000