Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 GQ GMC-500 Plus buying advice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CrocodileDandee Posted - 07/06/2020 : 05:54:28
Hi there, I’m a newbie but very interested to buy the 500+. I read a lot about problems occurring with the second tube. Is that a constant problem or just a software issue? I wouldn’t like to buy a device to disable one tube to make it working correct as it should be. I want to go to Maralinga site In Australia where the British exploded about 7 Atomic Bombs between 1956-1957 to test out this device if you convince me to buy it. Many thanks for your help and responses. I found it on amazon australia for about 149 Australian Dollars.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CrocodileDandee Posted - 07/10/2020 : 02:57:00
quote:
Originally posted by Stargazer 40

Firmware is keyed to the serial number (and installed hardware) of the meter. You get the serial from the meter and email to support at GQ. Then they send a link for you to download and install. It is a bit cumbersome, but GQ maintains pretty tight control of firmware. At the same time the company continually improves hardware features, so it's necessary to treat each meter uniquely.

Thanks, I have sent an email and I'm waiting for response. I also cannot find a Usb driver for my Mac, which is really frustrating.
Stargazer 40 Posted - 07/08/2020 : 03:46:27
Firmware is keyed to the serial number (and installed hardware) of the meter. You get the serial from the meter and email to support at GQ. Then they send a link for you to download and install. It is a bit cumbersome, but GQ maintains pretty tight control of firmware. At the same time the company continually improves hardware features, so it's necessary to treat each meter uniquely.
CrocodileDandee Posted - 07/08/2020 : 01:22:08
quote:
Originally posted by EmfDev

It is a little bit complicated but after playing for it for few minutes or hours you will get used to it. If you have any questions just ask here a lot of people here in the forum will answer your questions. For firmware updates you have to email me or support with your serial number for to check for updates.

Thanks, I will try to install first myself. Can’t I update the latest firmware online myself or is it too complicated? Thanks so much for your response.
CrocodileDandee Posted - 07/08/2020 : 01:19:51
quote:
Originally posted by Stargazer 40

Late to the party, but this really is a no brainer. Huge number of features with the 500+ not available with the 3XX meters, and really both a sample meter and a survey meter in one unit. Lots of articles on the forum for the 500+ as to how to use. Sounds like a great adventure to explore the Maralinga site. Please report back on your efforts.

Thanks, 500+ is ordered on Amazon Australia and won’t be long anymore to test it out. I will go to Maralinga on 16.-18.08. and will report about my experience!
Stargazer 40 Posted - 07/07/2020 : 18:29:54
Late to the party, but this really is a no brainer. Huge number of features with the 500+ not available with the 3XX meters, and really both a sample meter and a survey meter in one unit. Lots of articles on the forum for the 500+ as to how to use. Sounds like a great adventure to explore the Maralinga site. Please report back on your efforts.
EmfDev Posted - 07/06/2020 : 16:36:52
It is a little bit complicated but after playing for it for few minutes or hours you will get used to it. If you have any questions just ask here a lot of people here in the forum will answer your questions. For firmware updates you have to email me or support with your serial number for to check for updates.
CrocodileDandee Posted - 07/06/2020 : 15:22:43
quote:

That's great! You can turn it off from the Main Menu->Init Setup->Tube Settings->Tube Selection then select tube 1 only.

Oh wow, thanks so much. I thought I have to open the unit for it! If I get it new I heard the instructions are quite complicated. I was wondering, how do I update the latest firmware? Do I just connect to their server or do I have to connect it via usb to my computer and go to their website then?
EmfDev Posted - 07/06/2020 : 15:15:09
That's great! You can turn it off from the Main Menu->Init Setup->Tube Settings->Tube Selection then select tube 1 only.
CrocodileDandee Posted - 07/06/2020 : 15:10:07
quote:

If you do not care about the price, go for the 500+. At least you have the option to turn off tube 2 or even only use tube 2 for really high radiation. It also has much more features like fast estimate time, wifi, dead time, food mode, etc.

It’s just 30 Australian dollar more here in Australia. It looks like it’s still the better choice. I prefer the 500 with the better buttons, features and bigger display. How do I turn the second tube off? I will buy it today then. Amazon australia has only 5 in stock. Thanks so much!
EmfDev Posted - 07/06/2020 : 15:03:05
If you do not care about the price, go for the 500+. At least you have the option to turn off tube 2 or even only use tube 2 for really high radiation. It also has much more features like fast estimate time, wifi, dead time, food mode, etc.
CrocodileDandee Posted - 07/06/2020 : 14:34:55
quote:

Hi CrocodileDandee, the second tube issue only appears when CPM is at the threshold (default is 30000CPM) and tube 2 is reading very low. This sometimes happen when the source is only close to tube 1 instead of tube 2. If you are worried about it then just choose the GMC300/320/500 which only have 1 tube but still covers high CPM range. They all have the same accuracy but different range and features.

Thanks for your response. Other than that, would you prefer the 500+ vs. the 320+? I’m between them, but I think the better choice might be the 500+. Thanks.
EmfDev Posted - 07/06/2020 : 09:22:34
Hi CrocodileDandee, the second tube issue only appears when CPM is at the threshold (default is 30000CPM) and tube 2 is reading very low. This sometimes happen when the source is only close to tube 1 instead of tube 2. If you are worried about it then just choose the GMC300/320/500 which only have 1 tube but still covers high CPM range. They all have the same accuracy but different range and features.

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000