Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Measuring cs137, ru106, etc

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JeffInTexas Posted - 02/12/2020 : 09:35:46
Hey all. I'm interested in a detector that can measure levels of cs137, ru106, etc that come from contaminants from nuclear accidents. I.e. in Russia in 2017, they said that ru106 was detected over Europe. In Fukushima I think cs137 (also chernobyl?).

So would gamma radiation be the best method of detecting these sorts of things?

I have a few questions about GQ products:

1. Would the 500+, 320+, 600+ be good for detecting these contaminants? The 600+ adds alpha and x-ray detection but I'm not sure thats useful for measuring contaminants from far away?

2. How would one mount the chosen detector? Outside I imagine? You'd want to catch the particles in flight? Having it in the house wouldn't do much good?

3. I can see benefits to having a 320, 500, or 600 to measure potential radiation in food, so that's a secondary benefit to me. Does the 600+ seem like the best option there?

Thanks kindly, hopefully these aren't too stupid of questions from this n00b.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GBG12 Posted - 02/17/2020 : 18:07:32
Also note that all the tubes sold by GQ Electronics are Geiger-Muller tubes, and these cannot distinguish between isotopes (e.g. Ru106 vs. Cs137). To do that you would need a different type such as a scintillation counter, or a newer crystal type gamma detector (e.g. Cadmium-Zinc-Telluride - CZT). These not only detect the gamma rays but also their energy.
EmfDev Posted - 02/12/2020 : 10:50:28
Hi Jeff,

1. The 500/320/+ also detect x-ray. The cs137/ru106 mainly radiate gamma/beta so those counters are enough to detect but they have less sensitivity.
2. Depends on what you want to measure. If you want to measure a source, then you need to put it close to the target. If you want to measure the background inside the house then put it inside the house. Outside if you want to put monitor the background outside then put it out outside. But make sure to not fully cover the sensors.
3. The 600+ is the best of the 3. It has the highest sensitivity and food radiation are mostly alpha. The 600+ can detect radiation from potassium salt or banana in shorter time then the 300/500/+.

You can refer to this forum thread on how sensitive these counters are. The 320+ and 500+ main tubes are the same (M4011).
https://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7699

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.05 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000