Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 3D printable holster for GMC-600 and similar

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dosman Posted - 12/10/2018 : 21:02:50
Greetings,
I just published my holster for my geiger counter on Thingiverse:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3274182

If you wish to use your GMC-600 or similar device as a dosimeter you are left disappointed that it does not fit inside any ordinary sized clothing pockets. This is a holster with a belt-clip which alleviates the issue. I love my GMC-600, this makes it easier to get the most out of the unit. Also, if say you wanted to attach it to your cars dash and velcro is just too old fashioned, you can easily remix the design for your needs.

Thanks!
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
WigglePig Posted - 01/12/2021 : 07:18:53
Interestingly, my 500+ came with a fabric/velcro belt holster.
ZLM Posted - 12/17/2018 : 22:43:55
Good work. Thanks for sharing your design.
dosman Posted - 12/13/2018 : 20:20:16
"...The only comment I have is the SBT-11/11A is facing you and the belt. Much more sensitivity to betas and alphas if you have it facing out."

True, you should just be able to insert the device into the holster with the back facing out if desired. However, when used as a dosimeter, I believe you want to read radiation that penetrates (since uSv is an "absorbed dose") so the inward facing window should be less of a concern.

"What is the type of filament for the printer you are using to get flex in the belt clip and not break it when attaching to belt?"

I printed mine in PLA, but any ordinary filament should work. PET-G and ABS should work fine too but would be even stronger. PLA is a biodegradable material made from plants but behaves like plastic. Most people consider it the "bottom quality" filament as it's not as strong as most others, but it is fine for decorative and light-duty prints. The belt clip can easily flex, but with enough force it certainly would break. So far I've found it sturdy enough for this holster, but I've only used it a short time.

Also, PLA will deform a very small amount in the summer heat of a car. It doesn't get noticeably soft to the touch, but things can become misshapen and/or the surface can start to show the inner lattice structure of the print. I'll say that 3D printing is very rewarding, but it's not a quick journey. If you are the type of person who already designs or makes lots of stuff, it's worth the trouble to go down the rabbit hole. It's also fine if you just want to go on the journey without a goal in mind. But if you have limited time to commit to it but want to work with rapid prototyping equipment, I recommend laser cutters instead. Designing in 2D is an order of magnitude easier. It's also much faster compared to 3D printing. But I digress...

Stargazer 40 Posted - 12/12/2018 : 05:36:07
3D printing - another of these things that create a bit of wanderlust for me. I bought a couple of Geiger counter engines from a Lithuanian company and they are based on Arduino micro controllers. That led me to buy some collections of devices to experiment with and some Arduinos. Pretty simple stuff to hook up and see how to make work. However only micro controllers. Great for something one off like a GC. That brought me to acquire a Raspberry Pi to see how the two devices might be made to work together. Just getting started with that and I see these marvelous 3D printers that can spit out simple to very complex structures if you can envision them and create the files to build. Thanks dosman for sharing this. The only comment I have is the SBT-11/11A is facing you and the belt. Much more sensitivity to betas and alphas if you have it facing out. Yet to use the 600 as a frisker for those types of ionizing radiation then this is perfect as you unclip it and can wave it over samples, get the readings and reclip. Probably a little less obtrusive if you made it similar color to the 600 case instead of bright orange or the blue. Not at the point of buying a printer yet, but would explore the printing service idea. What is the type of filament for the printer you are using to get flex in the belt clip and not break it when attaching to belt?
dosman Posted - 12/11/2018 : 06:37:12
You are totally welcome to send it to a printing service to have it made. I've never used one of those services so I don't know what the cost would be. For reference, the print time was about 10-11 hours, but I don't print any faster than default speed to ensure reasonable quality. A higher-end printer could probably cut that down some.

Yes, it would be possible to design and print a new back side cover, but it would be more time consuming to design because the dimensions have to be much more exact. I'm not volunteering for that, but it's totally doable ;-).
ullix Posted - 12/11/2018 : 03:48:57
Interesting, but nothing I can do. But is it possible to use your files unmodified and forward them to a shop to do it for me? How much would this likely cost?

I'd be more interested in a replacement backside for a counter, which leaves the tube as fully exposed as possible. Possible?

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000